Chocolate coconut crunch cookies have amazing flavor and texture. Nutty brown butter cookies packed with chocolate chips, toasted coconut, and crisped rice cereal for extra crunch!
Ingredients for Chocolate Coconut Crunch Cookies
- Unsalted butter – We are making brown butter for this recipe! Scroll down to see how to make it!
- Light brown sugar – Adds sweetness and chewiness.
- Granulated sugar – For sweetness.
- Egg – Large egg. Room temperature.
- Vanilla extract – Vanilla extract adds great vanilla flavor.
- Baking soda – Leavening agent that helps the cookies spread and brown.
- Salt – To enhance the flavor of the cookies and contrast the sweetness.
- All-purpose flour – Be sure to level your measuring cups!
- Chocolate chips – For this recipe, I prefer to use semi-sweet chocolate chips, but you can also use milk chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips.
- Coconut – Use shredded sweetened coconut. I recommend toasting the coconut for extra depth of flavor. Scroll down to ‘tips’ to find out how to toast the coconut!
- Crisped rice cereal – AKA rice krispies! Crisped rice cereal gives the cookies a great crispy texture. You could also use cornflakes if you prefer!
How to Brown Butter
Brown butter is butter that has been melted and cooked to the point that the milk solids toast and take on a nutty, caramel flavor. It adds an amazing depth of flavor to the cookies.
Brown butter is incredibly easy to make and adds almost no time to the process. Simply melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Once the butter is melted, continue cooking, stirring frequently until you notice the butter turning a golden-brown color. Immediately remove the saucepan from the heat and add to the brown butter to your mixing bowl.
Couple things to keep in mind…
- Pay close attention once the butter starts to turn golden brown.
- The butter can burn quickly to stay close by and keep stirring.
- Immediately pour the brown butter into the mixing bowl. If it stays in the saucepan, it will continue to brown.
Check out my blog post on How to Make Brown Butter to learn more!
Chocolate Coconut Crunch Cookies Recipe Tips
To toast the coconut, spread the shredded coconut in a baking pan in an even layer. Toast the coconut in a 350 degree F oven for about 5 to 10 minutes. Be sure to mix the coconut every few minutes to ensure it is toasting evenly. Also, keep your eyes on the coconut as it can burn very quickly. Toast until golden brown. The toasted coconut adds great flavor and a little extra crunch.
Use a cookie scoop for uniform cookies
Use a cookie scoop for uniform size cookies – To make cookies that are the same size, I highly recommend using a cookie scoop! Cookie scoops portion the dough and help the cookies maintain a round shape when baking. For these cookies, I used a large cookie scoop, which is about 3 tablespoons.
Underbake the cookies
Rule of baking – always underbake your cookies! I love underbaking cookies by a minute or two to create the perfect soft and chewy texture. Pull the cookies out of the oven and allow them to sit on the cookie sheet for a minute to set. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely! For these cookies, the perfect timing is between 10 and 12 minutes (with a large cookie scoop).
Storing the cookies
Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 days. I love popping a cookie in the microwave for 5 to 10 seconds to melt the chocolate!
Chocolate Coconut Crunch Cookies
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ¾ cup light brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¾ cup chocolate chips or chopped chocolate bar milk, semisweet or dark chocolate
- ½ cup shredded sweetened coconut toasted
- ½ cup crisped rice cereal
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet pan with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Place butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Once the butter is melted, continue to cook stirring constantly until the butter turns a light golden-brown color. Remove from the heat immediately and pour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add light brown sugar and granulated sugar to the brown butter. Stir until combined and smooth.
- Add egg and vanilla extract and mix well until smooth.
- Add all-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix until the dry ingredients are well combined and the mixture forms a dough.
- Fold in the chocolate chips, toasted coconut, and crisped rice cereal until well dispersed throughout the cookie dough.
- Portion the dough into balls using a large cookie scoop (3 tbsp). Place the cookie dough balls onto the prepared baking sheet pan. Allow room for spreading.
- Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes. The cookies will appear underdone. Remove the pan from the oven and allow the cookies to cool on the pan for 2 minutes. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool to room temperature.