Rice Krispie treat ice cream cones are and easy and fun treat! Ice cream cones filled with M&Ms and topped with a Rice Krispie treat with plenty of sprinkles! These treats are perfect for kids birthday parties or holidays!
Ingredients for Rice Krispie Treat Ice Cream Cones
- Butter: You can use salted or unsalted based upon personal preference.
- Mini marshmallows: Mini marshmallows melt faster and more evenly than regular marshmallows.
- Vanilla extract: A splash of vanilla extract adds a little vanilla flavor.
- Rice krispies: Crisped rice cereal. A 12-ounce box is approximately 10-11 cups.
- Ice cream cones: I used the jumbo size ice cream cones, but you could also use regular sized cones. You will just have to make the rice krispie treat balls smaller.
- Sprinkles: Use your favorite brand or color of sprinkles. For this recipe, I used pastel nonpareils.
- M&Ms: You can use any type and color of M&M, or any other small candy that would fit in the bottom of the ice cream cones.
- Candy melts: Use whichever color candy melts you like!
How to Make Rice Krispie Treat Ice Cream Cones
- Combine butter and mini marshmallows in a large saucepan.
- Cook over medium-low heat stirring occasionally.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Add rice krispies to a large mixing bowl. Pour the melted marshmallows over the rice krispies.
- Mix the marshmallow and rice krispies until well combined.
- Form the rice krispie treats into balls that are slightly larger than the top of the ice cream cone. Set on a baking tray and sprinkle with sprinkles.
- Melt the candy melts. Dip the top of the ice cream cones in the melted candy melts and sprinkle with sprinkles.
- Add M&Ms to the bottom of the ice cream cone. Gently place and press the rice krispie treat balls to the top of the ice cream cone.
- Set aside and allow the candy melts to dry before wrapping or storing.
Rice Krispie Treat Ice Cream Cones Recipe Tips
To form the balls of rice krispie treats, I recommend wetting your hands slightly. This prevents the marshmallow from sticking to your hands. Just a little splash will do!
To get uniform-size rice krispie treat balls, I recommend using a kitchen scale!
Be sure to sprinkle the sprinkles onto the rice krispie treat balls immediately after you form them so the sprinkles stick!
After dipping the top of the ice cream cones in the candy melts, it is important to work quickly so you can fill the cones with M&Ms and attach the rice krispie treat ball to the top of the cone before the candy melts harden. A great way to make this happen is to make sure that all of the components are set up and ready to go before you start.
These treats are best stored at room temperature in an airtight container for about 2 to 3 days. I do not recommend chilling as the rice krispies treats can become very hard and brittle. A great way to store and serve these ice cream cones is to wrap them in clear treat bags with a little ribbon!
Rice Krispie Treat Ice Cream Cones
- ½ cup butter salted or unsalted
- 20 oz mini marshmallows
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 12 oz crisp rice cereal
- 20 jumbo ice cream cones
- 12 oz candy melts any color
- 1 cup M&M candies
- 2 tbsp nonpareil sprinkles
Rice Krispie Treats
- Combine butter and mini marshmallows in a large saucepan. Place over medium-low heat and cook, stirring frequently, until the marshmallows are melted.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat. Add vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Pour rice krispies in a large mixing bowl. Pour the marshmallow mixture over the rice krispies and mix together until well combined.
- Moisten your hands to prevent the rice krispie treats from sticking. Scoop a portion of the rice krispie treats. The rice krispie treat ball should be just slightly larger than mouth of the ice cream cone. Roll the rice krispie treat into a ball, pressing firmly. Once you have the appropriate size, weigh with a kitchen scale to make the other rice krispie treats the same size.
- Place the rolled rice krispie treat onto a baking sheet tray. Immediately sprinkle on nonpareil sprinkles. If you wait too long, the rice krispie treats will dry and the sprinkles will not stick.
- Portion and roll the rice krispie treats until all the mixture is used.
Assembling the Ice Cream Cones
- Pour candy melts into a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 30 second intervals, stirring in between intervals, until melted and smooth.
- Dip the top of the ice cream cone into the candy melts. Hold the ice cream cone inverted over a clean baking sheet pan and sprinkle with nonpareil sprinkles.
- Quickly add some M&Ms to the bottom of the ice cream cone and gently place and press a rice krispie treat ball onto the top of the cone.
- Repeat until all the ice cream cones are made. Allow the candy melts to harden completely before storing.