Ingredients for Chocolate M&M Cookies
- Unsalted butter: Room temperature, softened butter.
- Granulated sugar: For sweetness.
- Light brown sugar: Makes the cookies chewy.
- Eggs: Large eggs, room temperature.
- Vanilla extract: Vanilla extract enhances the chocolate flavor.
- Dark cocoa powder: Dark cocoa powder adds deep chocolate flavor and makes the color of the cookies a deep chocolate brown.
- All-purpose flour: Provides the structure in the cookies.
- Baking soda: Leavening agent to help the cookies rise and spread.
- Salt: Enhances the flavor of the cookies and provides some contrast to the sweetness.
- Chocolate chips: You can use milk chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips, or white chocolate chips for this recipe! I prefer semi-sweet chocolate chips for this recipe.
- M&Ms: For this recipe, I went with Christmas M&Ms to give these cookies a fun holiday appearance.
How to Make Chocolate M&M Cookies
- Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
- Add all-purpose flour, dark cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix on low speed until dough forms.
- Fold in chocolate chips and M&Ms.
- Portion cookie dough into balls using a medium cookie scoop. Chill dough balls for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet pan with silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Place cookie dough balls onto prepared baking sheet pan.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes.
- Cool cookies on the pan for 2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Christmas Chocolate M&M Cookies Recipe Tips
Bake perfect cookies
I highly recommend using dark cocoa powder for the best chocolate flavor and deep chocolate color. If you only have regular cocoa powder, the recipe will still work perfectly well. The cookies may have a lighter color and chocolate flavor.
Use a cookie scoop for even cookies
To make perfectly even and uniform cookies, I highly recommend using a cookie scoop! This allows the cookies to have the same amount of dough and also shapes the cookies, so they bake into a perfectly round shape! For this recipe, I used a medium cookie scoop.
Don’t skip the chill
I highly recommend chilling your cookie dough balls for at least 30 minutes before baking the cookies. Chilling the dough allows the flour time to hydrate which makes a better texture. Additionally, chilling the cookie dough helps control the spread of the cookies so they do not flatten out.
Add extra color
To give these cookies and extra pop of color, press additional Christmas M&Ms into the cookies immediately after baking. As soon as the cookies come out of the oven, press a few M&Ms into the warm, soft cookies. Allow the cookies to cool for a minute or two and then transfer to a wire rack to cool to room temperature.
Storing the cookies
Store the cookies at room temperature in an airtight container for about 3 days. You could also store the scooped cookie dough balls in a resealable storage bag in the refrigerator for two weeks. I love doing this around the holidays so I can bake fresh cookies as I need them!
Christmas Chocolate M&M Cookies
- Electric hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cup dark cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 10 oz M&M candies
- In a mixing bowl with an electric hand mixer or bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add in eggs and vanilla extract and continue to mix until well combined.
- Add in all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix until the dry ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Fold in the semisweet chocolate chips and M&M candies until well dispersed throughout the cookie dough.
- Portion the cookie dough into balls using a medium cookie scoop. Chill the cookie dough balls for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet pan with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Place the cookie dough balls onto your prepared baking pans. Be sure there is space between the cookie dough balls to allow for spreading.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes. Cookies will appear underdone.
- Remove from the oven. If desired, immediately press additional M&Ms into the warm, soft cookies. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking pan for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.