These cowboy cookies are so much more than just a chocolate chip cookies. A chewy oatmeal cookie, flavored with cinnamon and vanilla, packed with chocolate chips, toasted coconut, and pecans. This cookie recipe has amazing taste and texture.
Ingredients for Cowboy Cookies
- Unsalted butter: Room temperature for easy creaming.
- Brown sugar: Light brown sugar, packed.
- Granulated sugar: A bit more sweetness.
- Eggs: Large eggs, room temperature.
- Vanilla extract: Pure vanilla extract for great flavor.
- All-purpose flour: Level your measuring cup!
- Baking soda: Helps the cookies spread and brown.
- Cinnamon: Ground cinnamon adds great warm flavor to the cookies.
- Salt: Enhances the flavors in the cookie.
- Rolled oats: Old fashioned rolled oats. You could also use quick oats.
- Coconut: Toast your coconut for the best flavor.
- Pecans: Chopped pecans.
- Chocolate chips: Use what you like! I typically go with semi-sweet chocolate chips.
How to Make Cowboy Cookies
- In a large bowl, cream together butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar.
- Add egg and vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and all-purpose flour).
- Add the flour mixture and rolled oats to the butter mixture. Mix on low speed until dough forms.
- Fold in toasted coconut, pecans, and chocolate chips.
- Portion cookie dough using a medium cookie scoop. Chill dough balls for 30 minutes.
- Place chilled cookie dough balls onto a baking sheet pan lined with a silicone baking mat or a parchment-lined baking sheet. Press down the cookie dough slightly.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- Cool cookies on the pan for 2 minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Cowboy Cookies Recipe Tips
Bake the best cookies
Underbake the cookies slightly
To bake perfect cookies, you must underbake the cookies slightly! Pull the cookies out of the oven when they still appear to be a bit doughy. Allow them to cool on the pan for about 2 minutes. This will gently finish the baking process and will give you cookies with perfect texture that are not overbaked and dry. My recipe accounts for pulling them out early, so bake for a full 10 minutes and cool on the pan for 2 minutes!
Use a cookie scoop
Mix it up
Feel free to be creative and try different mix-ins to suit your taste! Add walnuts, raisins, almonds, dried cranberries, or white chocolate chips! Use any dried fruit or nuts that you prefer!
Storing the cookies
Store the baked cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for about 3 days.
- Electric hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 ½ cups light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut toasted
- ¾ cup pecans chopped
- 1 ½ cups semisweet chocolate chips
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or a large mixing bowl with an electric hand mixer, cream together butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until well combined.
- Add in eggs and vanilla extract. Mix well until combined.
- Add in baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Continue to mix.
- Add in all-purpose flour and rolled oats. Mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are fully incorporated and a dough forms.
- Fold in toasted coconut, chopped pecans, and semisweet chocolate chips until dispersed throughout the dough.
- Portion the dough into balls using a medium cookie scoop. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 ° F. Line a baking sheet tray with silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Place chilled cookie dough balls onto the baking pan, allowing for room for spreading. Press down on the dough balls slightly with your hand or the back of a small bowl.
- Bake for 10 minutes. The cookies will appear to be underbaked.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Allow the cookies to cool for 2 minutes on the pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.