Easy chocolate chips cookies are perfect when you want a batch of freshly baked cookies fast! No electric mixers required, and no chilling needed! Brown butter adds a great nutty, caramel flavor to the cookies. The best chocolate chip cookies recipe (in my opinion).
Ingredients for Easy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Unsalted butter – We are making brown butter for these cookies, which is butter that is melted and cooked to the point that the milk solids toast and create a nutty, caramel flavor.
- Light brown sugar – Don’t forget to firmly pack the measuring cup! Brown sugar adds a slight molasses flavor to the cookies.
- Granulated sugar – Most chocolate chip cookie recipes call for a mixture of brown and white sugar to create the perfect balance of chewy and crispy.
- Egg – Room temperature eggs are a must!
- Vanilla extract – Vanilla extract adds amazing flavor to the cookies.
- Baking soda – A leavening agent to help the cookies spread and brown.
- Salt – To balance out the sweetness of the cookies.
- All-purpose flour – Level the measuring cups!
- Chocolate chips – Use milk, semisweet, or dark chocolate chips or a combination. You could also use chocolate chunks if you prefer.
How to Make Brown Butter
One way to make this recipe a no-mixer recipe is to use melted butter as opposed to creaming softened butter and sugar. But let’s take things to the next level and cook up some brown butter.
Brown butter is butter that has been melted and cooked to the point that the milk solids toast and take on a nutty, caramel flavor. It adds an amazing depth of flavor to the cookies.
Brown butter is incredibly easy to make and adds almost no time to the process. Simply melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Once the butter is melted, continue cooking, stirring frequently until you notice the butter turning a golden-brown color. Immediately remove the saucepan from the heat and add to the brown butter to your mixing bowl.
Couple things to keep in mind…
- Pay close attention once the butter starts to turn golden brown.
- The butter can burn quickly to stay close by and keep stirring.
- Immediately pour the brown butter into the mixing bowl. If it stays in the saucepan, it will continue to brown.
Easy Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe Tips
Use a cookie scoop for uniform sized cookies
To make cookies that are the same size, I highly recommend using a cookie scoop ! Cookie scoops portion the chocolate chip cookie dough and help the cookies maintain a round shape when baking. For these cookies, I used a large cookie scoop. You could also use a medium cookie scoop, but the baking time will be about 2 minutes less.
Press in extra chocolate chips to the top
Before baking, press a couple extra chocolate chips into the top of the cookie to make it look extra fancy!
Underbake the cookies
Rule of baking – always underbake your cookies! I love underbaking cookies by a minute or two to create the perfect soft and chewy texture. Pull the cookies out of the oven and allow them to sit on the pan for a minute to set. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely! For these cookies, the perfect timing is between 10 and 12 minutes (with a large cookie scoop).
Storing and serving
Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 days. To bring them to life, pop them in the microwave for 10 seconds to make the chocolate melty and the cookie soft.
Easy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ¾ cup light brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips or chopped chocolate bar milk, semisweet or dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet pan with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Place butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Once the butter is melted, continue to cook stirring constantly until the butter turns a light golden-brown color. Remove from the heat immediately and pour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add light brown sugar and granulated sugar to the brown butter. Stir until combined and smooth.
- Add egg and vanilla extract and mix well until smooth.
- Add all-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix until the dry ingredients are well combined and the mixture forms a dough.
- Pour in chocolate chips and mix until the chocolate chips are dispersed throughout the cookie dough.
- Portion the dough into balls using a large cookie scoop (3 tbsp). Place the cookie dough balls onto the prepared baking sheet pan. Allow room for spreading.
- Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes. The cookies will appear underdone. Remove the pan from the oven and allow the cookies to cool on the pan for 2 minutes. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool to room temperature.