If you are looking for an easy cookie recipe, look no further than these cake mix cookies! All you need is a box of cake mix, butter, and eggs! Add your favorite frosting and sprinkles to make this easy dessert! The flavor combinations are endless!
Ingredients for Cake Mix Cookies
- Boxed cake mix: Use your favorite flavor of cake mix! For the cookies pictured, I went with Pillsbury Funfetti mix. You will want to use a cake mix that is 15.25 ounces. Other great flavor ideas would be strawberry cake mix, white cake mix, vanilla cake mix, red velvet cake mix, or chocolate cake mix.
- Unsalted butter: Melted.
- Eggs: Room temperature.
- Vanilla frosting: For the cookies pictured, I used Pillsbury’s Funfetti Vanilla Frosting with sprinkles! If you prefer, homemade vanilla buttercream frosting would be a perfect substitution!
How to Make Cake Mix Cookies
To make the cookie dough, all you need is a bowl and a spoon or spatula!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare baking sheet pans with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, melted unsalted butter, and room temperature eggs.
- Mix until a soft dough forms.
- Portion the cookie dough using a large cookie scoop.
- Bake the cookies for approximately 12-13 minutes. Remove the cookie sheet from the oven and allow the cookies to cool on the pan for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Frost the cookies with your favorite premade frosting or homemade frosting recipe! Use a piping bag fitted with a Wilton 1M piping tip (or your favorite piping tip) to swirl the frosting onto the cooled cookies or spread using a small offset spatula.
Cake Mix Cookies Recipe Tips
Use a cookie scoop for uniform cookies
Portion the cookie dough with a large cookie scoop for uniform-sized cookies. This ensures that the cookies bake evenly and maintain a round shape.
Make your cookies perfectly round
After the cookies are done baking, use a drinking glass or round cookie cutter to gently form the cookies into a perfectly round shape. Simple swirl the glass/cookie cutter around the cookies on the pan immediately after they come out of the oven. Once you have shaped the cookies, allow them to cool on the pan for a minute or two before transferring to a wire rack.
Frosting the cookies
To frost the cookies, you can use the premade frosting or you can make your own, homemade buttercream or cream cheese frosting. To create a professional appearance, pipe the frosting onto the cookies with a piping bag and your favorite piping tip. For the cookies pictured, I used a Wilton 1M piping tip.
Here are some of my favorite flavor combinations:
- Lemon cake mix cookies + lemon buttercream frosting
- Chocolate cake mix cookies + peanut butter buttercream frosting
- Strawberry cake mix cookies + strawberry buttercream frosting
- Funfetti cake mix cookies + vanilla buttercream frosting
- Red velvet cake mix cookies + cream cheese frosting
This recipe is super flexible! You can use any flavor box mix to make these cookies. You can also add some mix-ins to add more flavor and texture to the cookies. Some of my favorites include semi-sweet chocolate chips, M&M candies, white chocolate chips, pecans, almonds, toffee bits, peanut butter chips, or butterscotch chips. If you add mix-ins, I recommend using approximately 1 cup total.
Storing and serving
The frosted cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Click here to see a quick video on how to make cake mix cookies! Follow Cake Me Home Tonight on TikTok, Instagram, and YouTube for more recipe videos and baking tutorials!
Cake Mix Cookies
- 15.25 oz boxed cake mix (1 box of cake mix)
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 15.6 oz container premade frosting or homemade frosting
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Prepare baking sheet pan with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, melted butter, and eggs. Mix until well combined and a soft dough forms.
- Use a large cookie scoop (3 tbsp) to portion the cookie dough. Place cookie dough on the prepared baking pan allowing room for spreading.
- Bake the cookies for approximately 12-13 minutes in the center of the oven.
- Remove the pan from the oven. If desired, use a round cookie cutter or drinking glass to gently shape the cookies. Cool the cookies on the pan for 2 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Frost the cooled cookies with your favorite premade or homemade frosting. If desired, use a piping bag fitted with a piping tip. For the cookies pictured, I used a Wilton 1M piping tip. Decorate the cookies with sprinkles!
Made This Recipe?
Be sure to follow on Pinterest @Cakemehometonight and on Instagram @cake_me_home_tonight
Leave A Reply!