Chocolate chip caramel pretzel cookies are a sweet and salty treat! Brown butter chocolate chip cookies with chewy caramel and salty pretzels are packed with amazing flavor!
Ingredients for Chocolate Chip Caramel Pretzel Cookies
- Unsalted butter – We are making melted brown butter for these cookies! Scroll down to see how to make brown butter! It is very easy!
- Light brown sugar – Adds sweetness, chew, and a touch of molasses flavor.
- Granulated sugar – For sweetness.
- Egg – Room temperature.
- Vanilla extract – Pure vanilla extract adds amazing vanilla flavor.
- Baking soda – Helps the cookies to spread and brown while baking.
- Salt – A bit of salt enhances the flavor and provides contrast to the sweetness.
- All-purpose flour – Be sure to measure correctly and level your measuring cups!
- Chocolate chips – Use dark, semisweet or milk chocolate!
- Caramel bits – I am a huge fan of caramel bits! Soft, chewy, and perfect for cookie baking!
- Pretzels – Crushed pretzels. I love using ultra-thin pretzel sticks, but you can use your favorite type of pretzel!
Tools & Supplies to Make Chocolate Chip Caramel Pretzel Cookies
How to Make Brown Butter
Brown butter is butter that has been melted and cooked to the point that the milk solids toast and take on a nutty, caramel flavor. It adds an amazing depth of flavor to the cookies.
Brown butter is incredibly easy to make and adds almost no time to the process. Simply melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Once the butter is melted, continue cooking, stirring frequently until you notice the butter turning a golden-brown color. Immediately remove the saucepan from the heat and add to the brown butter to your mixing bowl.
Couple things to keep in mind…
- Pay close attention once the butter starts to turn golden brown.
- The butter can burn quickly to stay close by and keep stirring.
- Immediately pour the brown butter into the mixing bowl. If it stays in the saucepan, it will continue to brown.
Check out my blog post on How to Make Brown Butter to learn more!
Chocolate Chip Caramel Pretzel Cookies Recipe Tips
As I mentioned above, I love using ultra-thin pretzel sticks. To break the pretzels up, I place them in a plastic sandwich bag and crunch them up using my fingers. You don’t want to pulverize them but make the pieces small enough so that they easily fit into the cookie dough balls.
Use a cookie scoop for uniform sized cookies
To make cookies that are the same size, I highly recommend using a cookie scoop! Cookie scoops portion the dough and help the cookies maintain a round shape when baking. For these cookies, I used a large cookie scoop. These cookies are packed with chocolate chips, caramel bits, and pretzels, so you might need to use your hand to pack the cookie scoop.
Underbake the cookies
Rule of baking – always underbake your cookies! I love underbaking cookies by a minute or two to create the perfect soft and chewy texture. Pull the cookies out of the oven and allow them to sit on the pan for a minute to set. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely! For these cookies, the perfect timing is between 10 and 12 minutes (with a large cookie scoop).
Storing and serving
Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 days. I love popping a cookie in the microwave for 10 seconds to melt the chocolate and caramel a bit!
Click here to see a quick video on how to make chocolate chip caramel pretzel cookies! Follow Cake Me Home Tonight on TikTok, Instagram, and YouTube for more recipe videos and baking tutorials!
Chocolate Chip Caramel Pretzel Cookies
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ¾ cup light brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¾ cup chocolate chips or chopped chocolate bar milk, semisweet or dark chocolate
- ½ cup caramel bits
- ½ cup pretzels crushed
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet pan with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Place butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Once the butter is melted, continue to cook stirring constantly until the butter turns a light golden-brown color. Remove from the heat immediately and pour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add light brown sugar and granulated sugar to the brown butter. Stir until combined and smooth.
- Add egg and vanilla extract and mix well until smooth.
- Add all-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix until the dry ingredients are well combined and the mixture forms a dough.
- Mix in the chocolate chips, caramel bits, and pretzels.
- Portion the dough into balls using a large cookie scoop (3 tbsp). Place the cookie dough balls onto the prepared baking sheet pan. Allow room for spreading.
- Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes. The cookies will appear underdone. Remove the pan from the oven and allow the cookies to cool on the pan for 2 minutes. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool to room temperature.
Made This Recipe?
Be sure to follow on Pinterest @Cakemehometonight and on Instagram @cake_me_home_tonight
Comments & Reviews
These are by far my 2 college boys cookies. I get requests from their friends to bring them when I visit. College boy approved!
Love this! So glad they are loving these cookies!! Thank you for trying out the recipe!
Do these need to be chilled?
No chilling required for these cookies! 🙂
My family loved these cookies!!
Awesome! I am so happy to hear! Thank you for trying the recipe!