This cinnamon buttercream frosting pairs perfectly with so many different cake and cupcake flavors. The buttercream is smooth, creamy, and is flavored with pure vanilla extract and ground cinnamon. Use this buttercream for all your fall and winter dessert recipes.
Ingredients for Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting
- Unsalted butter – Room temperature.
- Powdered sugar – Confectioners’ sugar/icing sugar.
- Vanilla extract – Pure vanilla extract adds great underlying vanilla flavor.
- Cinnamon – Ground cinnamon. The fresher the better.
- Salt – A pinch of salt helps to contrast the sweetness of the frosting.
- Heavy cream – Heavy cream or heavy whipping cream makes the buttercream smooth and silky.
How to Make Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting
- Whip the room temperature butter until light, fluffy, and pale in color.
- Add powdered sugar in two batches, mixing on low in between each addition.
- Add the vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt.
- Drizzle in the heavy cream and continue to mix on low until combined.
- Turn the mixer to medium speed and whip the buttercream for about 3 minutes to get the desired consistency.
Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting Recipe Tips
- Check out my baking tips blog post on 10 Tips for Making Perfect Buttercream to get more information and tips on how to make the best buttercream frosting.
- Pair this cinnamon buttercream with carrot cake or cupcakes, zucchini cupcakes, spice cake, pumpkin cake or cupcakes, or apple crisp cupcakes.
- If you love this recipe, be sure to check out my recipe for cinnamon cream cheese frosting.
- This recipe makes enough buttercream to frost 2 to 3 dozen cupcakes or ice a three-layer 7-inch round cake.
- Store the buttercream in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for 3 months. To use, bring the buttercream to room temperature and rewhip until it is smooth and creamy.
Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting
- Stand mixer or electric hand mixer
- 2 cups unsalted butter room temperature
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Add room temperature butter to a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Whip the butter for 5 minutes on medium-high speed, scraping down the sides occasionally, until the butter is light, fluffy, and pale in color.
- Add one half of the powdered sugar and mix on the lowest speed setting until fully combined. Add remaining powdered sugar and continue to mix on low until incorporated.
- Add vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, and salt and mix on low until combined.
- Slowly drizzle in the heavy cream while mixing on low speed. Scrape the sides of the bowl occasionally to ensure the frosting is well mixed.
- Once the heavy cream is added, turn the speed on the mixer to medium and mix for an additional 3 minutes until smooth.