This coconut buttercream frosting only contains 6 ingredients and comes together in less than 10 minutes. Flavored with vanilla and coconut extract, this coconut frosting is perfect for coconut cupcakes or coconut cake!
Ingredients for Coconut Buttercream Frosting
- Unsalted butter: Room temperature, softened butter.
- Powdered sugar: Also known as icing sugar or confectioners’ sugar.
- Salt: A pinch of salt enhances the flavors and contrasts the sweetness.
- Vanilla extract: Pure vanilla extract provides the perfect backdrop to enhance the coconut flavor.
- Coconut extract: Coconut extract adds the perfect amount of coconut flavor.
- Heavy cream: Heavy cream or heavy whipping cream to make the frosting smooth and creamy.
How to Make Coconut Buttercream Frosting
- Whip the room temperature butter until light, fluffy, and pale in color.
- Add powdered sugar in two batches, mixing on low in between each addition.
- Add the vanilla extract, coconut extract, and salt.
- Drizzle in the heavy cream and continue to mix on low until combined.
- Turn the mixer to medium speed and whip the buttercream for about 3 minutes to get the desired consistency.
Coconut Buttercream Frosting Recipe Tips
Make perfect buttercream frosting
Check out my “Baking Tips” blog post on 10 Tips for Making Perfect Buttercream to get more information and tips on how to make the best buttercream frosting.
Room temperature butter
If the butter is too cold or too warm, the buttercream will not whip up well. Remove your butter from the fridge and let it hang out on your countertop for an hour or two before making your buttercream. The butter should be just slightly soft.
This recipe makes enough buttercream to frost 2 to 3 dozen cupcakes or ice a three-layer 7-inch round cake.
Storing and serving
Store the buttercream in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for 3 months! Bring the buttercream to room temperature and rewhip with a stand mixer or electric hand mixer until good as new! The buttercream is best enjoyed at room temperature.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use salted butter?
Sure! Some people find using salted butter to be too salty. With unsalted, you control the amount of salt you add. I love using half salted and half unsalted butter and omitting the additional salt!
Do I need to sift the powdered sugar?
Only if you need to! I don’t sift powdered sugar unless it is lumpy. Try different brands of powdered sugar to find your favorite.
Should I use a whisk or paddle attachment on my mixer?
That depends! I use both depending on my mood! Many bakers feel that using a paddle attachment creates a smoother buttercream. Some recommend using a whisk attachment to make the buttercream lighter. My suggestion is to try both ways and see what you like best!
How can I make my buttercream smooth?
After you are done making the buttercream, mix the buttercream on low speed with a paddle attachment for 5 to 10 minutes. You can also remove air bubbles by mixing the buttercream by hand with a spatula until it is silky smooth.
Can I use an electric hand mixer?
Coconut Buttercream Frosting
- Stand mixer or electric hand mixer paddle or whisk attachment based on preference
- 2 cups unsalted butter room temperature
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp coconut extract
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Add room temperature butter to a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk or paddle attachment. Whip the butter for 5 minutes on medium-high speed, scraping down the sides occasionally, until the butter is light, fluffy, and pale in color.
- Add one half of the powdered sugar and mix on the lowest speed setting until fully combined. Add remaining powdered sugar and continue to mix on low until incorporated.
- Add vanilla extract, coconut extract, and salt and mix on low until combined.
- Slowly drizzle in the heavy cream while mixing on low speed. Scrape the sides of the bowl occasionally to ensure the frosting is well mixed.
- Once the heavy cream is added, turn the speed on the mixer to medium and mix for an additional 3 minutes until smooth.