Peanut butter cookies are a classic cookie flavor. Made with creamy peanut butter and brown sugar, these cookies are slightly crispy and chewy and packed with peanut butter flavor. This easy cookie recipe will be a great addition to your baking repertoire.
Ingredients for Peanut Butter Cookies
- Peanut butter: Use regular creamy peanut butter. I don’t recommend using natural peanut butter for this recipe.
- Unsalted butter: Unsalted butter at room temperature is best for easy creaming.
- Brown sugar: Light brown sugar adds some moisture and chewiness in the cookies.
- Granulated sugar: Granulated sugar adds to the sweetness of the cookies and can be sprinkled on the top of the cookies before baking if desired.
- Egg: Be sure the egg is at room temperature for emulsification in the dough.
- Vanilla extract: Enhances the flavor of the cookies.
- All-purpose flour: When you measure all-purpose flour, be sure to level off the measuring cups.
- Baking soda: A leavening agent that helps the cookies spread.
- Baking powder: Another leavening agent that helps the cookies puff up.
- Salt: Enhances the flavor of the cookies.
Tools & Supplies for Making Peanut Butter Cookies
- Baking sheet pan
- Silicone baking mats or parchment paper sheets
- Electric hand mixer
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium cookie scoop
- Fork or potato masher – to add texture to the top of the cookies
- Wire cooling rack
How to Make Peanut Butter Cookies
To make the cookie dough, I recommend using an electric hand mixer to make the dough. You can also use a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line baking trays with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- Using an electric hand mixer, cream together peanut butter, butter, and sugars.
- Add in egg and vanilla extract and continue to mix.
- Add in flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, portion the dough.
- Roll the cookie dough balls until smooth.
- Place cookies on the baking tray allowing room for spreading.
- Make a hashtag mark on the top of the cookies using a fork or a potato masher. Sprinkle with additional sugar if desired.
- Bake the cookies for approximately 12 minutes until set.
- Cool the cookies on the baking tray for 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe Tips
Bake perfect cookies
Check out my baking tips blog post on 10 Tips for Making Perfect Cookies! HOWEVER, for these cookies, I don’t recommend chilling the dough as is recommended in the post. Be sure to always read the directions on your recipes!
Marking the cookie dough
Peanut butter cookies classically have a hashtag mark made with a fork. My preference is to use a potato masher which allows for a wider and larger hashtag mark.
When making the hashtag marks on your cookies, if the fork or potato masher sticks, dip the fork/masher into granulated sugar to reduce sticking.
Storing and serving
The cookies can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to three days. You can also store portioned cookie dough in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks and in the freezer for 1 month. To bake, remove the cookies from the refrigerator or freezer and allow the dough to come to room temperature.
Peanut Butter Cookies
- Stand mixer or electric hand mixer
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine peanut butter, unsalted butter, light brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Using an electric mixer, cream on medium speed until well combined.
- Add egg and vanilla extract and continue to mix until well combined.
- Add all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix until the dry ingredients are combined with the wet ingredients. Do not overmix. Scrape the bowl to ensure all the ingredients are well combined.
- Using a medium cookie scoop (1 ½ tbsp), portion the peanut butter cookie dough.
- Roll the dough balls into smooth spheres and place onto the silicone baking mat, allowing space for spreading.
- Using a fork or potato masher, create a hashtag on the top of each cookie. Sprinkle with additional sugar if desired.
- Bake the cookies for approximately 12 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and allow the cookies to cool on the pan for 2-3 minutes. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
Made This Recipe?
Be sure to follow on Pinterest @Cakemehometonight and on Instagram @cake_me_home_tonight
Leave A Reply!