These peanut butter swirl brownies are rich, decadent, and highly addictive for chocolate peanut butter lovers. The brownies are made with moist, chewy, and fudgy brownies with a thick swirl of creamy peanut butter. You will come back to this easy peanut butter brownies recipe again and again.
Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies
You need this brownie recipe in your life. Trust me, it’s worth the calories. If you are looking for a decadent chocolate peanut butter dessert, this one certainly fits the bill.
We first start off with moist, chewy cocoa brownies and then add creamy peanut butter by the spoonful and create a thick peanut butter swirl. It’s as simple as that!
Be sure to check out my other brownie recipes to give other flavors a try!
Ingredients for Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies
- Unsalted butter
- Brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Eggs: Large eggs, room temperature.
- Vanilla extract: Pure vanilla extract enhances the chocolate flavor.
- Vegetable oil: Adds moisture and chewiness to the brownies.
- All-purpose flour
- Dark unsweetened cocoa powder: Go with dark cocoa powder for the best, richest chocolate flavor.
- Baking powder
- Creamy peanut butter: Melt the peanut butter so it easily swirls into the brownie batter.
How to Make Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies
Here is the basic breakdown of the recipe:
- Preheat oven and prepare 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, melt the butter and brown sugar in the microwave and stir to combine.
- Whip the granulated sugar and eggs with an electric hand mixer for a few minutes until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add melted butter mixture to egg mixture to temper the eggs. Add vanilla extract and vegetable oil.
- Add in the all-purpose flour, dark cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder. Mix until combined.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared baking pan. Melt the peanut butter and pour onto the top of the brownies. Swirl using an offset spatula.
- Bake the brownies for 25-30 minutes until the edges are set and the middle is slightly underbaked. Remove the brownies from the oven. Cool the brownies in the pan to room temperature before cutting.
Brownie Recipe Tips
- To easily remove the brownies from the pan, first spray the pan with nonstick cookie spray and line with parchment paper. Lift up on the parchment paper to remove the brownies.
- To create the perfect chewy brownie, be sure that the melted butter/brown sugar mixture is hot, the eggs and granulated sugar are whipped up to be light, pale, and fluffy.
- Temper the eggs by slowly pouring the hot butter/brown sugar mixture into the eggs while mixing.
- To make clean slices, be sure the brownies are completely cooled and use a sharp knife. Clean the knife between each slice.
- Be sure to melt the peanut butter before swirling it into the brownie batter to make it spread easily and evenly.
- Store the brownies in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days.
Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies
- 8×8 baking pan
- Electric hand mixer
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup dark cocoa powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- Preheat the oven to 350℉ and prepare an 8×8 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and parchment paper.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine unsalted butter and brown sugar. Heat in the microwave for 90 seconds until the butter is fully melted. Whisk the butter and brown sugar together until combined and smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, add eggs and granulated sugar. Use an electric hand mixer to whip the eggs and sugar on medium-high speed for a few minutes until light and pale in color.
- Slowly add the melted butter mixture into the egg mixture while mixing on medium speed with the hand mixer to temper the eggs. Once all the butter mixture is added, add in vanilla extract and vegetable oil and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, dark cocoa powder, salt and baking powder. Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix on low speed until well combined and smooth.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared baking pan. Use an offset spatula to spread the batter evenly in the pan. Melt the peanut butter in the microwave for 30 seconds. Pour the melted peanut butter over the brownies. Use an offset spatula or butterknife to swirl the peanut butter into the brownie batter.
- Bake the brownies for approximately 25-28 minutes until the center of the brownies is set. To check for doneness, insert a toothpick into the center of the brownies. The toothpick should come out with moist crumbs, not wet brownie batter. If there is wet brownie batter, bake for a few more minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and cool the brownies in the pan to room temperature. Remove the brownies from the pan and cut into squares.