Pina colada dessert shots are easy and fun summer treats! Made with pineapple, coconut, and coconut rum, these pina colada dessert cups are creamy and delicious with a tropical vibe! These dessert shots are perfect for summer parties!
Ingredients for Pina Colada Dessert Shots
- Instant vanilla pudding mix – Be sure it is instant pudding mix rather than cook and serve. For this recipe, I used a 3.4 ounce package. You can also use instant coconut cream pie pudding mix in place of the vanilla pudding mix.
- Milk – Use whatever cold milk you prefer.
- Coconut rum – I mean, it is pina colada right? We have to add booze! To make these boozy, we are going to add some coconut rum. Feel free to use a different alcohol. Some great ideas include white or dark rum or rumchata. Use any type of alcohol you want! If you want to make these alcohol-free, simply replace the rum with more milk.
- Heavy cream – Heavy cream or heavy whipping cream work equally as well!
- Crushed pineapple – Drain the pineapple and save the juice to make a pineapple ginger margarita (seriously delicious).
- Coconut – Shredded sweetened coconut. To make these dessert cups easier to eat and easier to pipe in the cups, I usually pulse the shredded coconut in the food processor to give it a finer texture. We are also going to be toasting up some coconut for a garnish.
- Maraschino cherries – Top each cup with a cherry because it’s cute and I love it when a pina colada comes with a slice of pineapple and cherry…and an umbrella (obviously).
How to Make Pina Colada Dessert Shots
- In a large bowl, whisk together instant vanilla pudding mix, milk, and coconut rum. Chill the mixture in the refrigerator for five minutes.
- Pour heavy cream into the pudding mixture. Whip on medium-high speed with an electric hand mixer until the mixture is thick and fluffy.
- Fold in drained crushed pineapple and finely shredded coconut.
- Transfer the mixture to a piping bag and pipe the pina colada mixture into 28 2-ounce plastic cups, about 3/4 full. You can also spoon the mixture into the cups if you do not have a piping bag.
- Sprinkle each dessert shot with toasted shredded coconut and a maraschino cherry.
Pina Colada Dessert Shots Recipe Tips
- The plastic cups with lids can be found on Amazon or at your local party supply store. The cups are 2-ounces, but feel free to make them any size you would like! The recipe makes approximately 28 2-ounce cups give or take depending on how much pina colada mixture you pipe into the cups.
- To make these pina colada cups alcohol-free, simply replace the alcohol in the recipe with additional milk.
- To toast the coconut, spread the shredded sweetened coconut on a baking pan in one thin layer. Bake at 350 degrees F, stirring every few minutes to ensure the coconut does not burn. Toasting the coconut typically takes about 5 minutes. Be sure to keep an eye on it and don’t walk away because it can burn easily.
- The dessert shots can be stored in the refrigerator for about 3 to 4 days. A great way to serve these dessert shots at a party is straight out of a cooler so they remain chilled. When serving, do not leave the cups out for more than 30 minutes.
Pina Colada Dessert Shots
- Electric hand mixer
- 28 2 ounce plastic cups with lids
Pina Colada Dessert Shots
- 3.4 oz instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup coconut rum
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 1 cup drained crushed pineapple
- ¾ cup shredded sweetened coconut
- ¼ cup shredded sweetened coconut toasted (see: tips)
- 28 mini pineapple slices
- 14 maraschino cherries drained and halved
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together instant vanilla pudding mix, milk, and coconut rum until combined. Chill for 5 minutes.
- Pour heavy whipping cream into the pudding and whip on medium-high speed with an electric hand mixer until thickened.
- Fold in drained canned pineapple and shredded sweetened coconut until well dispersed throughout the pudding mixture.
- Fill a piping bag with the pina colada mixture. Pipe the pina colada mixture into 28 2-ounce plastic cups about ¾ full.
- Top the pina colada cups with toasted coconut, a thin pineapple slice, and a maraschino cherry.
- Seal the cups with a lid and chill. The cups can be served immediately or stored in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.