Banana split cupcakes taste just like the classic sundae! Moist banana cupcakes swirled with vanilla buttercream frosting, chocolate ganache, rainbow sprinkles, and of course, a maraschino cherry!
Ingredients for Banana Split Cupcakes
- All-purpose flour – Be sure to fluff the flour and level your measuring cups.
- Granulated sugar – For sweetness.
- Baking powder – Leavening agent to help the cupcakes rise.
- Salt – To enhance the flavor of the cupcakes and contrast the sweetness.
- Milk – Room temperature.
- Vegetable oil – You can also use canola oil.
- Egg – Large egg, room temperature.
- Vanilla extract – Vanilla extract enhances the banana flavor.
- Banana – Bananas come in different sizes. You will need 2/3 cup mashed banana which is about 1-2 average sized bananas. Use overripe bananas with brown spots for the best banana flavor.
Vanilla buttercream frosting
- Unsalted butter – Room temperature.
- Powdered sugar – No need to sift unless the powdered sugar is lumpy.
- Salt – To contrast the sweetness of the frosting.
- Vanilla extract – Pure vanilla extract adds amazing vanilla flavor.
- Heavy cream – Helps the buttercream whip up to be light and fluffy.
- Chocolate chips: I love using semisweet chocolate chips for the ganache.
- Heavy cream: The high fat content emulsifies well with the chocolate.
- Rainbow sprinkles – Use the regular jimmies or non-pareils.
- Maraschino cherry – Obviously every sundae needs a cherry on top!
Tools & Supplies for Making Banana Split Cupcakes
How to Make Banana Cupcakes
These banana cupcakes are simple to make and only require a mixing bowl and a whisk!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F & line cupcake pan with 12 cupcake liners.
- Whisk together all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add in milk, egg, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and mashed banana to the dry ingredients.
- Whisk the dry and wet ingredients together until combined and smooth.
- Portion into cupcake liners using a large cookie scoop about 3/4 full.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes until the cupcakes bounce back when gently touched or an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes in the pan for 5 minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
How to Make Vanilla Buttercream & Chocolate Ganache
The vanilla buttercream frosting takes just a few minutes to make and only has 5 ingredients! I recommend using a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment or an electric hand mixer.
- Whip the butter on medium-high speed for about 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add half of the powdered sugar and mix on low. Then add the remaining half and continue to mix on low speed.
- Add in the salt and vanilla extract. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure everything is well mixed.
- On low speed, slowly drizzle in the heavy cream.
- Turn the mixer to medium-high and whip for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Switch to a paddle attachment and mix on the lowest speed for 2-3 minutes to remove air bubbles for a smooth buttercream.
My chocolate ganache recipe is made in the microwave and just takes a few minutes to make.
- Combine chocolate chips and heavy cream in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave in 30 second intervals stirring in between.
- Mix until chocolate is fully melted and ganache is smooth.
Banana Split Cupcakes Recipe Tips
Bake perfect cupcakes
Check out my baking tips blog post on 10 Tips for Baking Perfect Cupcakes to learn simple tips and tricks to bake the best cupcakes.
My preferred method of mashing bananas is with a fork or potato masher. This allows for the bananas to have tiny chunks. If you prefer for your bananas to be completely smooth, I recommend using an immersion blender after you mash with a fork. Bananas are all different sizes, but 2/3 cup of mashed banana is typically 1 to 2 bananas. For the best flavor, use overripe bananas with a lot of brown spots!
Assembling the cupcakes
To frost the cupcakes, use a Wilton 1M piping tip and piping bag to pipe on a swirl of buttercream frosting that looks like soft-serve ice cream. Use a piping bag or squeeze bottle to drizzle on the chocolate ganache. Immediately add on rainbow sprinkles and a cherry! Check out this video to see how it’s done!
Chill frosted cupcakes before adding the chocolate ganache
After piping on the vanilla buttercream, chill the cupcakes for at least 30 minutes for the buttercream to firm up. Allow the ganache to cool slightly before drizzling onto the cupcakes to prevent the buttercream from melting.
Sprinkles and cherries
Add the rainbow sprinkles and maraschino cherries immediately after piping on the chocolate ganache. The wet ganache will allow for the sprinkles and maraschino cherries to stick.
Storing and serving
The banana split cupcakes can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. To serve, bring to room temperature for the cream cheese frosting to soften. I recommend removing the cupcakes from the refrigerator about an hour before serving.
Banana Split Cupcakes
- Stand mixer or electric hand mixer
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup milk room temperature
- 1 egg room temperature
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup mashed banana overripe banana
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp rainbow sprinkles
- 12 maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a cupcake pan with 12 cupcake liners.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Add in milk, egg, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and mashed banana.
- Whisk the dry and wet ingredients until combined and smooth. Do not overmix the batter.
- Portion the cupcake batter into cupcake liners about ¾ full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the tops of the cupcakes bounce back slightly when touched.
- Remove from the oven and cool the cupcakes in the pan for 5 minutes. Remove the cupcakes from the pan and cool completely.
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, add in room temperature unsalted butter. Whip the butter for 5 minutes on medium-high speed, scraping down the sides occasionally. The butter will be light, fluffy, and pale in color.
- Add one half of the powdered sugar and mix on the lowest speed setting until fully combined. Add remaining powdered sugar and continue to mix on low until incorporated.
- Add vanilla extract and salt and mix on low until combined.
- Slowly drizzle in heavy cream.
- Turn the speed to medium-high and whip for 2 to 3 minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl occasionally to ensure the frosting is well mixed.
- If desired, switch to a paddle attachment on the stand mixer and mix buttercream on low speed for 2 additional minutes to remove air bubbles to create smooth frosting.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine chocolate chips and half & half/heavy cream.
- Microwave for 30 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir.
- Microwave on 15 second intervals, stirring in between until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
Assembling the Banana Split Cupcakes
- Using a disposable piping bag with a Wilton 1M piping tip, swirl the vanilla buttercream onto the cupcake. Chill the cupcakes for about 30 minutes to firm the buttercream.
- Drizzle the chocolate ganache over the top of the cupcakes.
- Immediately sprinkle on rainbow sprinkles and add a maraschino cherry to each cupcake. Chill the cupcakes for at least 30 minutes.
Made This Recipe?
Be sure to follow on Pinterest @Cakemehometonight and on Instagram @cake_me_home_tonight
Leave A Reply!