Chocolate whipped cream frosting only contains four ingredients and whips up in just minutes. Made with dark cocoa powder and a bit of vanilla extract, this chocolate whipped cream frosting recipe has a great chocolate flavor and is light and creamy.
Ingredients for Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting
- Heavy cream: Cold heavy cream or heavy whipping cream.
- Powdered sugar: Adds sweetness. Adjust the powdered sugar to your taste.
- Dark cocoa powder: Dark unsweetened cocoa powder adds great chocolate flavor. My favorite brand is Hershey’s Dark Cocoa Powder which is a dutch process cocoa powder. You can use regular natural cocoa powder, but the chocolate flavor will not be as intense.
- Vanilla extract: Pure vanilla extract adds another layer of flavor and enhances the chocolate flavor in the whipped cream.
How to Make Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting
- Combine heavy cream, powdered sugar, dark cocoa powder and vanilla extract.
- Mix on low speed until the dark cocoa powder is combined with the cream.
- Slowly turn the electric mixer to medium speed and whip until frothy.
- Increase the speed to medium-high and whip until creamy, medium peaks form.
Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting Recipe Tips
Use cold heavy cream
For this recipe, I recommend using cold heavy cream or heavy whipping cream. The cold cream tends to whip up quicker and more easily than room temperature cream. You can even chill your bowl in the refrigerator for a few minutes to help this process.
Dark cocoa powder
Do not over whip the whipped cream
Once you have reached medium-stiff peaks, stop whipping the whipped cream. If you over whip, the cream can turn into chocolate butter.
Using and storing
I recommend piping or spreading the chocolate whipped cream frosting the day you make it. Once it is piped or spread onto a cake, cupcakes, or cheesecake, it will last about 2 days in the fridge. Be sure to store in an airtight container to prevent the whipped cream from absorbing any refrigerator odors.
Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting
- Stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment or electric hand mixer
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream or heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup dark cocoa powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or large mixing bowl, combine cold heavy cream, powdered sugar, dark cocoa powder and vanilla extract.
- Use a whisk attachment or an electric hand mixer to mix on low speed until the dark cocoa powder is combined with the cream.
- Slowly turn the mixer to medium speed and whip the cream for a minute or two until frothy.
- Increase the speed to medium-high and whip until creamy, medium-stiff peaks form. Do not overmix the whipped cream.
- Pipe or spread the chocolate whipped cream frosting