Fudgy chocolate brownies are packed with chocolate! Made with melted chocolate and dark cocoa powder, these brownies are moist, fudgy, and irresistible!
Ingredients for Fudgy Chocolate Brownies
- Unsalted butter: Use unsalted butter. If you use salted, simply omit the additional salt.
- Chocolate chips: Use either bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips.
- Granulated sugar: To add sweetness to the brownies.
- Brown sugar: Light brown sugar to add moisture and extra fudginess.
- Salt: Serves as a flavor enhancer to bring out the chocolate flavor.
- Eggs: Use room temperature eggs for the best result.
- Espresso powder: Omit espresso powder if you don’t have it! Helps bring out the chocolate flavor. The brownies won’t taste like coffee at all.
- Vanilla extract: A bit of vanilla extract enhances the chocolate flavor as well.
- All-purpose flour: All-purpose flour works perfect.
- Dark cocoa powder: Dark cocoa powder gives the best chocolate flavor.
How to Make Fudgy Chocolate Brownies
- Melt chocolate chips and butter in the microwave in 30 second intervals until melted.
- Using an electric hand mixer, whip together eggs, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, salt, and espresso powder on medium-high speed for 2 to 3 minutes. This is a key step!
- Pour in chocolate butter mixture and mix on low speed until combined.
- Add in flour and dark cocoa powder.
- Mix on low speed until just combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl to make sure everything is mixed well.
- Pour brownie batter into an 8×8 parchment lined baking pan lined with nonstick cooking spray and parchment paper.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for approximately 40 minutes. The brownies are done baking when a toothpick comes out with wet crumbs, but not wet batter.
- Remove the brownies from the oven and allow to cool on a wire baking rack.
- Remove the brownies from the pan by pulling up on parchment paper and cool to room temperature.
- Cut the brownies with a sharp straight-edge knife. Clean knife between slices for perfect cuts.
Fudgy Chocolate Brownies Recipe Tips
Bake perfect brownies
Check out my baking tips blog post on 10 Tips for Baking Perfect Brownies for great tips and tricks to making the most perfect fudgy brownies ever!
Prepare your baking pan
To prevent sticking and for perfect brownies, spray an 8×8 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and line with parchment paper. I like to cut two pieces that will cross the bottom of the pan. Cut the parchment paper so that you can simply pull the brownies up out of the pan.
Whip it good
Be sure to whip your eggs and sugars for the full 2 to 3 minutes as indicated in the recipe. This will make the eggs light and fluffy, helping create the fudgy texture of the brownies with a nice crackle on the top. There are no leavening agents in this recipe, so this step is important for structure.
Test with a toothpick
The brownies are ready to come out of the oven when an inserted toothpick comes out with wet crumbs attached. If you see wet batter, try baking for additional 3 minute intervals until you achieve wet crumbs. Insert the toothpick in one of the cracks on the top of the brownies to hide the toothpick mark.
Store the brownies in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Fudgy Chocolate Brownies
- Stand mixer or electric hand mixer
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 ¼ cups chopped bittersweet or semisweet chocolate or chocolate chips
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup dark cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Prepare an 8×8 baking pan with cooking spray and parchment paper. The parchment paper should go up the sides of the pan so the brownies are easily lifted out of the pan.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine unsalted butter and bittersweet/semisweet chocolate chips. Microwave in 30 second intervals, mixing in between, until the chocolate and butter are melted and fully combined.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, salt, and espresso powder. Using an electric hand mixer, mix on low speed until the ingredients combine and then turn the mixer to high speed and whip for 2 to 3 minutes until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Slowly drizzle in the chocolate mixture, mixing on low speed until the chocolate is fully incorporated with the egg mixture.
- Add in the flour and dark cocoa powder. Mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are fully incorporated with the wet ingredients. Do not overmix. Use a spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl to ensure that all the ingredients are well combined.
- Pour the brownie batter into your prepared baking pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for approximately 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the brownies comes out with wet crumbs and not batter.
- Cool the brownies in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove the brownies from the pan by lifting on the parchment paper and transfer to a wire rack. Allow the brownies to continue to cool to room temperature.
- Cut the brownies into squares based on the size that you want. Clean the knife with a paper towel in between cuts to ensure a clean cut each time.