Mint cookies and cream buttercream frosting is smooth and creamy mint frosting with mint Oreo cookie crumbs. This frosting recipe pairs perfectly with chocolate cake, chocolate cupcakes, and other chocolate desserts! Be sure to check out my cupcake recipe for mint cookies and cream cupcakes!
Ingredients for Mint Cookies and Cream Buttercream Frosting
- Unsalted butter: Room temperature unsalted butter for easy creaming.
- Powdered sugar: Only sift if your powdered sugar is very lumpy.
- Salt: A bit of salt enhances the flavor of the buttercream and contrasts the sweetness.
- Mint extract: Use mint extract as opposed to peppermint extract for this recipe.
- Vanilla extract: A bit of vanilla extract adds a bit more flavor to the buttercream.
- Heavy cream: Heavy cream makes the buttercream light, fluffy, and smooth.
- Mint Oreo cookies: Mint Oreos add extra mint flavor. Be sure they are very finely ground.
- Green gel food coloring: A couple drops of green gel food coloring gives the buttercream a beautiful, minty green color.
How to Make Mint Cookies and Cream Buttercream Frosting
To make the buttercream, I recommend using a stand mixer for the best results. You can use a paddle attachment or a whisk attachment based on your personal preference. If you do not have a stand mixer, you can also use an electric hand mixer.
- Whip room temperature butter for about 5 minutes until light, fluffy, and pale in color.
- Add in half of the powdered sugar and mix on the lowest speed until the sugar is combined with the butter. Then add the remaining powdered sugar and continue to mix on low speed.
- Add mint extract, vanilla extract, and salt and continue to mix on low until combined.
- Slowly drizzle in the heavy cream. Be sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl after this step to ensure everything is well mixed. Add a few drops of green food coloring if desired.
- Turn the mixer to medium speed and whip the buttercream for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add mint Oreo cookie crumbs and mix on low speed until combined.
- (Optional) Switch to a paddle attachment and mix on low speed for an additional 5 minutes to remove air bubbles and make the buttercream silky smooth.
Mint Cookies and Cream Buttercream Recipe Tips
Make perfect buttercream frosting
Check out my “baking tips” blog post on 10 Tips for Making Perfect Buttercream to get more information and tips on how to make the best buttercream frosting.
Be sure to use regular mint extract as opposed to peppermint extract in this recipe. The flavors are completely different!
Whip the butter
One of the keys to making the best buttercream is whipping the butter until it is light, pale, and fluffy, before adding the other ingredients. This adds air to the butter which helps prevent the buttercream from being dense and heavy. It creates a lighter consistency.
Chocolate sandwich cookie crumbs
Use a food processor to finely grind the chocolate sandwich cookies. The smaller the grind, the better the buttercream will turn out. Large chunks of cookies in the frosting can clog your piping bag and piping tip. And no need to remove the cream filling!
Gel food coloring
If desired, add a few drops of green gel food coloring to tint the buttercream a classic light green mint color. Gel food coloring adds great color without changing the taste or texture of the buttercream.
Storing and serving
ALERT! This is not a buttercream that stores well for later use. If you store the buttercream in the refrigerator and rewhip it, the cookie crumbs will break down and dissolve into the frosting. For this reason, I recommend frosting your cake or cupcakes the day you make the buttercream. Once frosted, it is best stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container and is best served at room temperature.
Mint Cookies and Cream Buttercream Frosting
- Stand mixer or electric hand mixer paddle or whisk attachment
- Food processor
- 2 cups unsalted butter room temperature
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp mint extract
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup mint Oreo cookies finely ground
- 2-3 drops green gel food coloring
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric hand mixer or the bowl of a stand mixer, add in room temperature unsalted butter. Whip the butter for 5 minutes on medium-high speed, scraping down the sides occasionally. The butter will be light, fluffy, and pale in color.
- Add one half of the powdered sugar and mix on the lowest speed setting until fully combined. Add remaining powdered sugar and continue to mix on low until incorporated.
- Add vanilla extract, mint extract, and salt and mix on low until combined.
- Increase speed to medium on the mixer and slowly drizzle in the heavy cream. Scrape the sides of the bowl occasionally to ensure the frosting is well mixed. Add a few drops of green gel food coloring, if desired.
- Turn the speed on the mixer to medium speed and whip for an additional 3-5 minutes until the buttercream is light and fluffy.
- Add mint Oreo cookie crumbs and mix on low speed until combined. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- If desired, switch to a paddle attachment on the stand mixer and mix buttercream on low speed for 2 additional minutes to remove air bubbles to create smooth frosting.