Mint buttercream frosting is cool and creamy. This silky smooth buttercream frosting recipe is flavored with mint extract for a delicious mint flavor. Use the buttercream with chocolate cake or chocolate cupcakes for a delicious mint chocolate treat! Be sure to check out my recipe for mint chocolate cupcakes!
Ingredients for Mint Buttercream Frosting
- Unsalted butter: Room temperature unsalted butter for easy creaming.
- Powdered sugar: Also known as confectioner’s sugar or icing sugar.
- Salt: A pinch of salt enhances the flavor of the buttercream and contrasts the sweetness.
- Mint extract: Use mint extract as opposed to peppermint extract for this recipe.
- Vanilla extract: A bit of vanilla extract adds a bit more flavor to the buttercream.
- Heavy cream: Heavy cream makes the buttercream light, fluffy, and smooth.
- Green gel food coloring: A couple drops of green gel food coloring gives the buttercream a beautiful, minty green color.
How to Make Mint Buttercream Frosting
- Whip room temperature butter for about 5 minutes until light, fluffy, and pale in color.
- Add in half of the powdered sugar and mix on the lowest speed until the sugar is combined with the butter. Then add the remaining powdered sugar and continue to mix on low speed.
- Add mint extract, vanilla extract, and salt and continue to mix on low until combined.
- Slowly drizzle in the heavy cream. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Add a few drops of green food coloring if desired.
- Turn the mixer to medium speed and whip the buttercream for about 3-5 minutes.
- (Optional) Switch to a paddle attachment and mix on low speed for an additional 5 minutes to remove air bubbles and make the buttercream silky smooth.
Mint Buttercream Frosting Recipe Tips
Make perfect buttercream frosting
Check out my “Baking Tips” blog post on 10 Tips for Making Perfect Buttercream to get more information and tips on how to make the best buttercream frosting with perfect consistency.
For this recipe, be sure to use regular mint extract or spearmint extract as opposed to peppermint extract. It is a whole different flavor! This buttercream pairs perfectly with chocolate desserts! Add some mini chocolate chips to make a mint chocolate chip frosting!
Gel food coloring
If desired, add a few drops of green gel food coloring to tint the buttercream a classic light green mint color. Gel food coloring adds great color without changing the taste or texture of the buttercream.
Storing and serving
Store the buttercream in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. To use the buttercream, simply bring it to room temperature and rewhip for 5 minutes. I recommend keeping the buttercream chilled once you frost a cake or cupcakes. The buttercream tastes best served at room temperature, so remove your cake or cupcakes about an hour before serving.
Mint Buttercream Frosting
- Stand mixer or electric hand mixer paddle or whisk attachment
- 2 cups unsalted butter room temperature
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp mint extract
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1-2 drops green gel food coloring
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric hand mixer or the bowl of a stand mixer, add in room temperature unsalted butter. Whip the butter for 5 minutes on medium-high speed, scraping down the sides occasionally. The butter will be light, fluffy, and pale in color.
- Add one half of the powdered sugar and mix on the lowest speed setting until fully combined. Add remaining powdered sugar and continue to mix on low until incorporated.
- Add vanilla extract, mint extract, and salt and mix on low until combined.
- Increase speed to medium on the mixer and slowly drizzle in the heavy cream. Scrape the sides of the bowl occasionally to ensure the frosting is well mixed. Add a few drops of green gel food coloring, if desired.
- Turn the speed on the mixer to medium speed and whip for an additional 3-5 minutes until the buttercream is light and fluffy.
- If desired, switch to a paddle attachment on the stand mixer and mix buttercream on low speed for 2 additional minutes to remove air bubbles to create smooth frosting.