Pumpkin spice buttercream frosting is the perfect pumpkin frosting recipe for all your favorite fall desserts! The frosting is packed with pumpkin flavor and is great for piping onto pumpkin cupcakes, cakes, or cookies.
Ingredients for Pumpkin Spice Buttercream Frosting
- Unsalted butter: Room temperature, softened butter.
- Powdered sugar: Confectioners’ sugar or icing sugar.
- Pumpkin puree: For the buttercream, we will be removing the excess moisture from the pumpkin puree. Learn how to do this in the instructions for the frosting below.
- Pumpkin pie spice: A mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and allspice.
- Vanilla extract
- Heavy cream: Creates a smooth and creamy buttercream frosting.
How to Make Pumpkin Spice Buttercream Frosting
Before you make the buttercream, be sure to remove the moisture from the pumpkin puree. Removing the moisture prevents the buttercream from separating and helps to create a very smooth and creamy frosting.
For the frosting, you will need 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree that will shrink to 1/4 cup after the moisture is removed. To remove the moisture, lay several sheets of paper towels onto a plate. Spread the pumpkin puree onto the paper towels in a thin layer. Use additional paper towels to blot the pumpkin until it is very dry.
Now, you are ready to make the pumpkin spice buttercream frosting. To make the buttercream, you will need a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or an hand-held electric mixer and a large mixing bowl.
- Whip the room temperature butter until light, fluffy, and pale in color.
- Add the powdered sugar and mix on low speed until combined.
- Add the dried pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract, and salt. Mix well.
- Drizzle in the heavy cream and continue to mix on low until combined.
- Turn the mixer to medium speed and whip the buttercream for about 3 minutes to get the desired consistency.
Pumpkin Spice Buttercream Frosting Recipe Tips
- Check out my baking tips blog post on 10 Tips for Making Perfect Buttercream to learn simple tips and tricks to make the best buttercream frosting.
- Do not skip the step of removing the excess moisture from the frosting. This is a key step to getting a smooth and creamy frosting.
- If you are fresh out of pumpkin pie spice, you can make your own at home if you have the ingredients! If not, reach for cinnamon and use it in place of the pumpkin pie spice. It will be absolutely delicious.
- Store the buttercream in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. To use, bring the buttercream to room temperature and rewhip for several minutes until is it smooth and creamy.
Pumpkin Spice Buttercream Frosting
- Stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or electric hand mixer
- 2 cups unsalted butter room temperature
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree with the moisture removed (see blog post for more information) – the dried pumpkin puree should equal ½ cup
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Remove the excess moisture from the pumpkin puree. Spread 1 cup of pumpkin puree onto a plate covered in several paper towels. Use additional paper towels to blot the pumpkin puree until it is very dry. The pumpkin is sufficiently dry when it equals ½ cup. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or in a large bowl with an electric hand mixer, whip the unsalted butter until pale and creamy.
- Add in the powdered sugar and mix on low until it is fully combined with the butter.
- Add in the dried pumpkin puree, vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Mix to combine. Drizzle in the heavy cream. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Turn the mixer to medium speed and whip the buttercream for about 3 minutes until smooth and creamy.