Pumpkin spice whoopie pies are an easy and delicious fall treat! Soft pumpkin cookies flavored with pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice paired with sweet and tangy cinnamon cream cheese frosting. Pumpkin whoopie pies are a perfect combination for fall!
Ingredients for Pumpkin Spice Whoopie Pies
Pumpkin spice cookies
- All-purpose flour: All-purpose flour works perfectly. Be sure to level your measuring cups
- Baking soda: Baking soda serves as the leavening agent, causing the cookies to spread.
- Baking powder: Baking powder is another leavening agent which helps the cookie rise.
- Salt: Salt enhances the flavors in the cookies.
- Pumpkin pie spice: A combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, and allspice.
- Unsalted butter: Room temperature.
- Granulated sugar: Granulated sugar adds sweetness to the cookies.
- Brown sugar: Brown sugar also adds sweetness with a slight molasses flavor.
- Egg: Large egg, room temperature.
- Vanilla extract: Vanilla extract adds great flavor to the cookies.
- Pumpkin puree: Be sure to get 100% pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling! The only ingredient should be pumpkin. Pumpkin puree will add great pumpkin flavor and moisture to the cookies.
- Milk: Room temperature milk adds moisture to the cookies.
Cinnamon cream cheese frosting
- Unsalted butter: Be sure the butter is at room temperature for easy creaming.
- Cream cheese: Cream cheese should also be at room temperature so it combines well with the butter.
- Powdered sugar: Powdered sugar sweetens the frosting. No need to sift!
- Vanilla extract: Pure vanilla extract adds great flavor to the frosting.
- Salt: A bit of salt balances out the sweetness.
- Cinnamon: A little cinnamon adds extra flavor to enhance the pumpkin spice taste.
Tools & Supplies for Making Pumpkin Spice Whoopie Pies
How to Make Pumpkin Spice Whoopie Pies
To make the cookies, I recommend using an electric hand mixer. You can also use a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet tray with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.
- In another large bowl, cream together unsalted butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar.
- Add in egg and vanilla extract and continue to mix.
- Add in pumpkin puree. Mix on low speed until just combined.
- Add half of the flour mixture and mix on low.
- Pour in milk and continue to mix on low speed until combined and smooth.
- Add in remaining flour mixture and mix on low speed until combined. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl.
- Use a medium cookie scoop to portion the batter onto the baking tray.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool on the pan for a few minutes.
- Transfer the cookies to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
How to Make Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
To make the cinnamon cream cheese frosting, you will need a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment or an electric hand mixer. There are only 5 ingredients and the frosting only takes a few minutes to make.
- Whip the butter and cream cheese on medium-high speed until light and fluffy.
- Add half of the powdered sugar and mix on low. Then add the remaining half and continue to mix on low speed.
- Add in vanilla extract, salt and cinnamon. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure everything is well mixed.
- Turn the mixer to medium-high and whip for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
Pumpkin Spice Whoopie Pies Recipe Tips
Do not overmix the batter
Overmixing the batter causes the cookies to become tough. When you are mixing the batter, stop mixing once all of the ingredients are just combined. Don’t forget to scrape the bowl to ensure all the ingredients are well incorporated.
Portion the batter with a cookie scoop
To create even, round cookies, I recommend using a medium cookie scoop. This will allow the cookies to be uniform in size and shape!
Be sure to use pumpkin puree as opposed to pumpkin pie filling. Pie filling comes presweetened and spiced and would not work in this recipe. The label of the can should say “pure pumpkin” or “100% pumpkin”. The only ingredients should be pumpkin.
Pipe the frosting
You can spread the frosting onto the pumpkin cookies with a knife or offset spatula, but I highly recommend piping the frosting using a disposable piping bag and a piping tip. For these whoopie pies, I used a Wilton 1M tip. To assemble the whoopie pies, simply spread or pipe the cream cheese frosting onto the bottom of one cookie and top with an additional cookie to create a sandwich.
Storing and serving
Store the whoopie pies in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Bring the whoopie pies to room temperature to serve. Remove from the refrigerator about 30 minutes to an hour before serving.
Click here to see a quick video on how to make pumpkin spice whoopie pies! Follow Cake Me Home Tonight on TikTok, Instagram, and YouTube for more recipe videos and baking tutorials!
Pumpkin Spice Whoopie Pies
- Stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and paddle attachment or electric hand mixer
Pumpkin Spice Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup milk room temperature
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 4 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
Pumpkin Spice Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Prepare baking sheet pans with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine unsalted butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar. Cream on medium speed until combined.
- Add in egg, vanilla extract, and pumpkin puree. Mix on low until combined.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture and mix on low speed until most of the dry ingredients are combined.
- Pour in milk and mix on low until combined and smooth.
- Add the remaining half of the dry ingredients and mix on low until just combined. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl to ensure all of the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Use a large (3 tbsp) cookie scoop or spoon and portion the batter onto the prepared baking sheet pans. Be sure to allow room between the cookies to account for spreading.
- Bake for 13 minutes until the cookies have puffed up and are set.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow the cookies to cool on the pan for about 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, combine unsalted butter and cream cheese. Whip on medium-high speed with an electric hand mixer or stand mixer until light and creamy.
- Add in powdered sugar and mix on low speed until combined.
- Add in vanilla extract, salt, and cinnamon.
- Turn the mixer on medium-high speed and whip for approximately 2 minutes until the frosting is light and fluffy. Scrape the bowl periodically.
Assembling the Pumpkin Spice Whoopie Pies
- Spread or pipe cream cheese frosting onto the bottom of the pumpkin spice cookie and top with another cookie to create a sandwich. For the whoopie pies pictured, I used a Wilton 1M piping tip to pipe the cream cheese frosting.
Made This Recipe?
Be sure to follow on Pinterest @Cakemehometonight and on Instagram @cake_me_home_tonight
Comments & Reviews
Lori Kulacz says
I love your recipes!!! Always something new and everything is so delicious. Thank you for sharing your talent!!
Thank you so much! That is very kind of you to say! 🙂
Lizette Guevara says
Hi would I be able to fry these??
I am not sure! I have never tried that so I can’t say for certain how that would work but that sounds interesting! If you try it out, please let me know how it goes!
Cj Daggett says
OMG!!! These whoppie pies are amazing. Been putting off making any kind of whoppie pies but these gave me confidence to hit it head on. Thank you so much 🥰 This is a great recipe 💕
Aww yay! Thanks so much for trying the recipe! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed it! Thanks for leaving a comment and positive review as well! It is much appreciated!