These chocolate hazelnut cookies are decadent and delicious. The fudgy chocolate cookies are stuffed with chocolate hazelnut spread, covered in chopped hazelnuts and drizzled in chocolate. This is a wonderful Christmas cookie recipe for those who love the taste of Nutella!
Ingredients for Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies
- Chocolate hazelnut spread – I like to use Nutella for this recipe to fill the cookies with chocolate hazelnut spread.
- All-purpose flour
- Dark cocoa powder – Dark unsweetened cocoa powder gives these cookies a rich chocolate flavor.
- Baking soda + baking powder
- Unsalted butter – Room temperature.
- Light brown sugar + granulated sugar
- Eggs – Large eggs, room temperature.
- Vanilla extract – Pure vanilla extract enhances the chocolate flavor.
- Hazelnuts – Roughly chopped.
- Semisweet chocolate chips – For a chocolate drizzle on the baked cookies.
How to Make Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies
- Freeze the chocolate hazelnut spread centers: Pipe small mounds (2 teaspoons) of chocolate hazelnut spread onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Freeze until solid.
- Make the chocolate cookie dough: Whisk together the all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. Cream the unsalted butter, light brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Add in the eggs and vanilla extract. Add in the dry ingredients and mix until the cookie dough forms.
- Make the cookie dough balls: Portion the cookie dough using a large cookie scoop (3 tablespoons). Wrap the chocolate cookie dough around the frozen chocolate hazelnut spread mounds and roll into balls. Roll the cookie dough balls in chopped hazelnuts and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Bake the cookies: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheet pans with silicone baking mats or parchment sheets. Place the chilled cookie dough balls on the pans and bake for approximately 14 minutes. Cool the cookies on the pan for 2 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Drizzle with chocolate: Drizzle melted semisweet chocolate onto the cookies using a piping bag.
- Check out my baking tips blog post on 10 Tips for Baking Perfect Cookies to learn simple tips and tricks on how to make these chocolate hazelnut cookies the best cookies ever.
- Work quickly when wrapping the cookie dough around the frozen chocolate hazelnut spread centers as they will quickly melt. I recommend doing a few cookies at a time, keeping the chocolate hazelnut centers in the freezer while you are rolling the cookie dough balls.
- Make the cookie dough a week ahead of time. Fill the cookie dough balls with the chocolate hazelnut spread and roll in the chopped hazelnuts. Chill the cookie dough balls and then store in a resealable plastic bag in the refrigerator.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days.
Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies
- Stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or electric hand mixer
Chocolate Hazelnut Centers
- 1 cup chocolate hazelnut spread
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped hazelnuts
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- On a small baking tray lined with parchment paper, use a piping bag to pipe small mounds of chocolate hazelnut spread (about 2 teaspoons). Freeze while making the cookie dough.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. In another mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to cream the unsalted butter, light brown sugar, and granulated sugar until light and creamy. Add in the eggs and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix on low speed until the cookie dough forms.
- Portion the cookie dough using a large cookie scoop. Flatten the cookie dough balls slightly and add a frozen chocolate hazelnut spread center to the center of each cookie. Wrap the cookie dough around the chocolate hazelnut spread and roll into balls. Roll the cookie dough balls in chopped hazelnuts and place on a baking pan and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheet pans with silicone baking mats or parchment sheets. Place the chilled cookie dough balls on the baking sheet pans and bake for approximately 14 minutes. Cool the cookies on the pan for 2 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat the semisweet chocolate chips in the microwave in 15 second intervals, stirring in between, until the chocolate is melted. Drizzle the melted chocolate onto the cookies using a piping bag and let the chocolate firm up before storing or serving.