Double chocolate chip cookies are a chocolate lover’s dream come true. Chewy dark chocolate cookies loaded with dark and semisweet chocolate chips, you couldn’t get any more chocolate in these cookies if you tried.
Ingredients for Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Unsalted butter: Room temperature.
- Brown sugar: Adds chewiness to the cookies.
- Granulated sugar: Amps up the sweetness.
- Eggs: Large eggs, room temperature.
- Vanilla extract: Vanilla extract serves as a flavor enhancer and believe it or not, makes the chocolate more chocolatey.
- All-purpose flour
- Dark cocoa powder: Dark cocoa powder is a must. The dark cocoa powder will give the cookies a deep chocolate flavor and beautiful dark color.
- Baking soda: Leavening agent to help the cookies rise and spread.
- Salt: A bit of salt enhances the flavor of the cookies.
- Chocolate chips: I like using a combination of dark chocolate chips and semisweet chocolate chips. It gives the cookies some visual contrast with the slight color variation and flavor profile.
How to Make Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cream together butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract and continue to mix until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt) and mix until combined. The dough will be relatively stiff, so mix on low speed.
- Fold in the dark and semisweet chocolate chips until they are well dispersed throughout the dough.
- Portion the dough and chill for at least 30 minutes. Use a cookie scoop or a kitchen scale to weigh the dough. For these cookies, I did 2 ounces each.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 12-14 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool on the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- Cool the cookies completely on a wire rack.
Double Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe Tips
Bake perfect cookies
Check out my baking tips blog post on 10 Tips for Baking Perfect Cookies to learn simple tips and tricks to bake the best cookies.
Use a cookie scoop or kitchen scale for even cookies
Use a cookie scoop or a kitchen scale to portion out your cookie dough. I love using my cookie scoop, but for these cookies, I prefer to use the kitchen scale. For this recipe, aim for 2 ounces of cookie dough per cookie. Don’t forget to chill the cookie dough balls for at least 30 minutes prior to baking!
Do not roll the cookie dough
Whether you are using a cookie scoop or scooping the dough and using a kitchen scale, do not roll the cookie dough into nicely even balls. These cookies have a nicer and “chunkier” appearance if you just loosely form them into a sphere. Use your fingertips!
Storing the cookies
These cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 to 3 days.
Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Stand mixer or electric hand mixer
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cups dark cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup dark or bittersweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet pan with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric hand mixer or bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add in eggs and vanilla extract and continue to mix until well combined.
- Add in flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix until the dry ingredients are fully incorporated. The dough will be very stiff.
- Using a spatula, fold in the semisweet and dark chocolate chips until well dispersed throughout the cookie dough.
- Divide into 24 cookies using a cookie scoop or a kitchen scale. If using a kitchen scale, you will want to measure approximately 2 ounces.
- Chill the cookie dough balls for at least 30 minutes.
- Place the cookie dough balls onto your prepared baking pans. Bake 6 to 8 cookies on the pan at a time and allow for space in between the cookies.
- Bake in the oven for 12-14 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool on the baking trays for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the baking tray and transfer to a wire rack to cool to room temperature.