Add these chocolate kiss cookies to your Christmas cookie list! If you love peanut butter blossoms, this is a great recipe to try. The peanut butter cookie is replaced with a soft dark chocolate cookie, rolled in nonpareil sprinkles and topped with a Hershey’s kiss.
Ingredients for Chocolate Kiss Cookies
- All-purpose flour
- Dark cocoa powder – Dark unsweetened cocoa powder gives the cookies a nice dark chocolate flavor and color.
- Instant espresso powder – Optional. Enhances the chocolate flavor.
- Unsalted butter – Room temperature.
- Granulated sugar
- Egg yolk – Just the yolk at room temperature.
- Milk – Room temperature.
- Vanilla extract – Vanilla extract adds great flavor to the cookies.
- Nonpareil sprinkles – Nonpareil sprinkles will give you the best coverage for the cookies because of their small size and shape.
- Hershey kisses – Use regular milk chocolate kisses or mix it up with different flavors.
How to Make Chocolate Kiss Cookies
- Preheat and prep: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheet pans with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- Make the cookie dough: In a mixing bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, dark cocoa powder, instant espresso powder, and salt. Set aside. Cream the unsalted butter and granulated sugar until light and smooth. Add in the egg yolk, milk and vanilla extract to the butter mixture and mix to combine. Pour in the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until the cookie dough forms.
- Roll the cookie dough in nonpareils: Portion the cookie dough using a small cookie scoop (1 tablespoon). Roll the dough into a ball and then roll the ball in nonpareil sprinkles. Place the cookie dough balls onto the prepared cookie sheet pan.
- Bake the cookies: Bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven. Immediately press a Hershey’s kiss in the center of each cookie. Cool the cookies on the pan for 2 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Check out my baking tips blog post on 10 Tips for Baking Perfect Cookies to learn easy tips and tricks for baking the best cookies.
- Make the cookie dough ahead of time. Portion the dough using a cookie scoop and store the cookie dough balls in a storage bag in the refrigerator for 2 weeks or in the freezer for 3 months. To use, bring the cookie dough to room temperature, roll the balls in nonpareil sprinkles and bake as instructed.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 to 3 days.
Chocolate Kiss Cookies
- Stand mixer or electric hand mixer
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 egg yolks room temperature
- ¼ cup milk room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup holiday nonpareil sprinkles
- 48 Hershey's kiss candies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheet pans with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, dark cocoa powder, instant espresso powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or in a large bowl with an electric hand mixer, cream the unsalted butter and granulated sugar until light and creamy.
- Add in the egg yolks, milk, and vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix on low speed until the cookie dough forms.
- Portion the cookie dough using a small cookie scoop (1 tablespoon). Roll the dough into a ball and then roll the ball in holiday nonpareil sprinkles. Place the cookie dough balls onto the prepared cookie sheet pan. Bake the cookies for about 10 minutes.