Peanut butter blossoms are a classic Christmas cookie recipe that need to be on your cookie trays! A soft, chewy peanut butter cookie topped with a Hershey’s kiss for the perfect chocolate peanut butter combination. These peanut butter blossom cookies are a personal family favorite!
Ingredients for Peanut Butter Blossoms
- Unsalted butter – Room temperature, softened butter.
- Granulated sugar – For sweetness in the cookie dough and also for rolling the cookie dough balls in before baking.
- Light brown sugar – Sweetness and chewy texture.
- Peanut butter – Creamy peanut butter works best.
- Egg – Room temperature.
- Vanilla extract – Vanilla extract for flavor.
- Baking soda – Leavening agent to help the cookies puff up and spread.
- Salt – Contrasts the sweetness.
- All-purpose flour – Provides the perfect texture and structure.
- Hershey’s kisses – Unwrapped. I love using the classic milk chocolate kisses.
How to Make Peanut Butter Blossoms
- Cream unsalted butter, granulated sugar, and light brown sugar.
- Add egg, vanilla extract, and peanut butter and mix until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients (baking soda, salt, and all-purpose flour) and mix until a soft dough forms.
- Portion the cookie dough using a small cookie scoop (about 1-inch balls), place dough balls on a cookie sheet, and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven and prepare baking sheet pans with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Place the cookies on the prepared pan and bake for 8-10 minutes until slightly golden brown.
- Remove the pan from the oven and immediately press a Hershey’s kiss in the center of each cookie.
- Cool the cookies on the pan for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Peanut Butter Blossoms Recipe Tips
Chill the dough
A key step in this recipe is to chill the peanut butter cookie dough balls before baking. This helps control the spread of the cookies and also helps to create the soft and chewy texture. I like to scoop the cookie dough, place the cookie dough balls on a baking sheet pan, and chill for about 30 minutes before rolling in granulated sugar and baking!
Hershey’s kisses crown the top of these peanut butter cookies! While the cookies are baking, unwrap the Hershey’s kisses so they are ready to go when the cookies are done baking. Immediately after pulling the cookies out of the oven, quickly place a kiss in the center of each cookie and press down gently. The Hershey’s kisses will melt from the heat of the cookies, so don’t touch the kisses until the cookies are fully cooled and the chocolate has solidified.
Make the cookie dough ahead
I love making cookie dough ahead of time, especially during the busy holiday season. Simply scoop the dough, chill the dough balls for 30 minutes, and then place the dough balls into a resealable storage bag. Store the cookie dough balls in the refrigerator for up to two weeks or in the freezer for up to one month. To use, simply remove from the refrigerator, roll in sugar, and bake! If you are baking the cookies from frozen dough, allow the dough balls to thaw for about 15 minutes before rolling and baking.
Storing after baking
Store the peanut butter blossoms in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 to 4 days.
Peanut Butter Blossoms
- Electric hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar for rolling cookie dough balls before baking
- 48 Hershey's kisses unwrapped
- In the bowl of stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or in a large mixing bowl with an electric hand mixer, cream together unsalted butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until combined and smooth.
- Add in peanut butter, eggs, and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
- Add in baking soda, salt, and all-purpose flour and mix on low speed until the dough forms.
- Portion the cookie dough using a small cookie scoop. Chill the dough balls for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line baking sheet pan with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Roll the chilled peanut butter cookie dough balls in granulated sugar. Place the dough balls onto the prepared baking pan allowing space for spreading.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. The cookies will appear slightly underbaked.
- Remove from the oven and immediately place an unwrapped Hershey's kiss in the center of each cookie, pressing down slightly.
- Cool the cookies on the pan for 2 minutes before transferred to a wire rack to cool completely.