This creamy chocolate buttercream frosting will quickly become your go-to chocolate frosting recipe. This frosting pipes beautifully, tastes amazing, and has a silky smooth consistency. Pair this frosting with yellow cake or chocolate cake to make a chocolate lover’s favorite birthday cake!
Ingredients for Creamy Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Semisweet chocolate chips – Go with semi-sweet chocolate for the best chocolate flavor.
- Unsalted butter – Room temperature.
- Powdered sugar – Confectioners’ sugar or icing sugar.
- Dark cocoa powder – I prefer to use dark cocoa powder, but you can use any dutch-process cocoa powder.
- Vanilla extract – Vanilla extract enhances the chocolate flavor of the frosting.
- Salt – A pinch of salt adds some contrast to the sweetness of the buttercream.
- Heavy cream – Heavy cream or heavy whipping cream.
How to Make the Creamy Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Melt the chocolate: Melt the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl in 15 second intervals, stirring in between each interval, until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Whip the butter: Use a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or an electric hand mixer to whip the butter for 5 minutes until it is pale and creamy.
- Add the ingredients: Add the powdered sugar, melted chocolate, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and salt and mix to combine.
- Whip the buttercream: Drizzle in the heavy cream and mix until it is fully incorporated. Scrape the bowl as needed.
- Whip the frosting: Turn the mixer to medium speed and whip for 2 to 3 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Check out my baking tips blog post on 10 Tips for Making Perfect Buttercream Frosting to learn some simple tips and tricks to getting the most out of this recipe.
- Be sure the melted chocolate is room temperature before adding it to the buttercream so it doesn’t melt the butter.
- This recipe makes enough buttercream to frost 2 to 3 dozen cupcakes or frost a three layer 7-inch round cake.
- Mix the frosting on low speed for several minutes to remove any air bubbles.
- Store the buttercream in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. To use, bring the buttercream to room temperature and rewhip until it is smooth and creamy.
Creamy Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or electric hand mixer
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups unsalted butter room temperature
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup dark cocoa powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat the semisweet chocolate chips in 15 second intervals, stirring in between each interval, until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the room temperature butter for 5 minutes until it is pale and creamy. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add half of the powdered sugar and mix on low until combined. Add the remaining half of the powdered sugar and mix well. Add the melted chocolate, dark cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and salt and continue to mix on low until combined.
- Drizzle in the heavy cream. Turn the mixer to medium speed and whip the chocolate buttercream frosting for about 2 to 3 minutes until it is smooth and creamy.