Edible chocolate chip cookie dough is a quick and easy recipe! It is made with heat-treated flour so it is perfectly safe to eat! If you love chocolate chip cookie dough, this is the recipe for you! Eat it with a spoon or use as a filling for cakes and cupcakes!
Ingredients for Edible Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- Unsalted butter: Room temperature.
- Brown sugar: Light brown sugar gives the cookie dough that classic chocolate chip cookie flavor!
- Salt: A pinch of salt brings out the flavor of the ingredients and is a contrast to the sweetness.
- Vanilla extract: Vanilla extract adds great flavor to the cookie dough.
- Milk: A bit of milk helps bind the dough. Use what you have in your fridge!
- All-purpose flour: The flour is heat-treated to reduce/eliminate bacteria. (See how to do this below)
- Mini chocolate chips: You will want to use mini chocolate chips for the best texture. You can also use regular if you prefer.
- Rainbow sprinkles: A bit of rainbow sprinkles adds some color and fun to the cookie dough!
Tools & Supplies to Make Edible Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
How to Make Edible Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
This recipe is incredibly easy to make! In less than 5 minutes, you will be stuffing your face with yummy cookie dough! I recommend using an electric hand mixer to make the cookie dough.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together room temperature butter, brown sugar, and salt.
- Add vanilla extract and milk and continue to mix.
- Add in heat-treated flour and mix on low speed until just combined.
- Fold in mini chocolate chips and rainbow sprinkles until dispersed throughout the dough.
How to Heat-Treat Flour
Because flour is in raw form, it must be heat-treated to kill any bacteria and make it safe for consumption. The flour needs to be at 165 degrees F to be safe. There are two ways to do this. I will let you choose your own adventure.
- Microwave: Pour the flour into a microwave-safe bowl. Heat on high in the microwave for 30 second intervals stirring in between. Use an instant-read thermometer to check the temperature of the flour. If it has not yet reached 165 degrees, continue to microwave in 30 second intervals. I have found that 60 to 90 seconds does the trick.
- Oven: Spread the flour on a clean baking tray lined with parchment paper. Bake the flour in a 300 degree F oven in 2 minute intervals, stirring in between. Again, use an instant-read thermometer to check the temperature of the flour, aiming for 165 degrees F.
I personally prefer the microwave method for two reasons: (1) It is faster and (2) It creates less mess!
Edible Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Recipe Tips
How to use
Eat the cookie dough with a spoon like ice cream! You can use it to stuff cupcakes or as a cake filling. Roll it into balls and dip it into chocolate! So many possibilities! Check out my recipe for cookie dough dessert cups!
Be creative with your flavors! Replace the chocolate chips and rainbow sprinkles with other mix ins – candy, cookies, dried fruit, etc.
Storing and serving
Store the cookie dough in the refrigerator for up to a week in an airtight container. You can also freeze the cookie dough for up to 3 months. To serve the dough, simply bring to room temperature and mix!
Click here to see a quick video on how to make edible chocolate chip cookie dough! Follow Cake Me Home Tonight on TikTok, Instagram, and YouTube for more recipe videos and baking tutorials!
Edible Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- Stand mixer or electric hand mixer
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour heat-treated (see blog post)
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp rainbow sprinkles
- In a mixing bowl, combine unsalted butter, light brown sugar, and salt. Using an electric hand mixer, cream the butter, sugar and salt until well combined.
- Add in vanilla extract and milk and continue to mix until smooth.
- Add in heat-treated all-purpose flour (See blog post on how to heat-treat the flour). Mix on low speed until fully combined.
- Add in mini chocolate chips and rainbow sprinkles and fold into the dough.
Made This Recipe?
Be sure to follow on Pinterest @Cakemehometonight and on Instagram @cake_me_home_tonight
Comments & Reviews
This cookie dough was FANTASTIC!!!!! So easy and I can’t wait to make it with my niece! Thank you so much! I look forward to making more of your recipes as I too LOVE to bake!
Thank you for trying the recipe! I’m so happy to hear that you enjoyed it! I’m excited to share more!
I had no idea you had to like… “heat treat” flour. I guess the more you know!
Yes! And it is so easy to do it in the microwave!