Halloween chocolate M&M cookies are perfect for the chocolate lover. These dark chocolate cookies are slightly crispy on the outside and fudgy on the inside. They are packed with chocolate chips and M&Ms for even more chocolate flavor! These Halloween M&M cookies need to be a part of your holiday to put you in the Halloween spirit!
Ingredients for Halloween Chocolate M&M Cookies
- Unsalted butter – Softened to room temperature.
- Granulated sugar – To add sweetness.
- Light brown sugar – Brown sugar adds sweetness and helps the cookies be chewy and moist.
- Eggs – Large eggs, room temperature.
- Vanilla extract – Vanilla extract enhances the chocolate flavor in the cookies.
- Baking soda – Leavening agent that helps the cookies spread.
- Salt – To balance the sweetness of the cookies.
- All-purpose flour – Be sure to fluff the flour and level the measuring cups.
- Dark cocoa powder – For the best chocolate flavor and a deep, dark chocolate color, I highly recommend using dark cocoa powder. You can also use black cocoa powder to make the cookies a jet-black color.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips – One cup semi-sweet chocolate chips. You can also use milk chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, or dark chocolate chips if you prefer.
- Halloween M&Ms – To add a pop of Halloween color, I love using the Ghoul’s mix M&Ms. You can use regular M&Ms if you cannot find the Halloween mix.
How to Make Halloween Chocolate M&M Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and prepare baking sheet pans with silicone baking mats or parchment paper sheets.
- Cream softened unsalted butter, granulated sugar, and light brown sugar until light and fluffy. Then, add eggs and vanilla extract and mix until smooth.
- Add in baking soda and salt to the butter mixture and mix until well combined. Then add in all-purpose flour and dark cocoa powder and mix on the lowest speed until dry ingredients are incorporated into the wet ingredients. Don’t forget to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure everything is mixed together!
- Fold in semisweet chocolate chips and Halloween M&Ms.
- Portion the cookie dough using a large cookie scoop (3 tablespoons) and place on the prepared baking sheet pans, allowing space in between the dough for spreading.
- Bake for approximately 10 to 12 minutes until the edges are set and the centers are gooey. Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool on the pan for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Halloween Chocolate M&M Cookies Recipe Tips
Use a large cookie scoop to portion the cookie dough
Cookie scoops are a must-have baking tool to create the best cookies! For these cookies, I used a large cookie scoop which contains 3 tablespoons of cookie dough. Using a cookie scoop ensures that the cookies are uniform in size and shape and makes portioning the dough quick and easy.
Shape the cookies after baking
A cookie scoop helps to form the cookie dough, so the cookies bake into a round shape, however, sometimes they still bake to be misshapen. A simple trick to shape the cookies after baking is to use the back of a spoon to gently press the edges of the cookie to create a perfectly round shape. Be sure to do this immediately after pulling the cookies out of the oven. Then, let the cookies sit on the pan for 1 to 2 minutes so they firm up a bit and maintain a round shape.
Press in additional M&Ms immediately after baking
Another great way to create visually beautiful cookies is to press additional M&Ms into the cookies immediately after they come out of the oven and are still sitting on the pan. The cookies will still be a bit soft, so the M&Ms will easily stick to the cookies! This adds additional color and even more chocolate!
Storing and serving
Halloween chocolate M&M cookies can be stored in an airtight container for 2 days. Serve the cookies at room temperature or pop them in the microwave for 5-10 seconds to melt the chocolate chips and M&Ms.
Halloween Chocolate M&M Cookies
- Electric hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cups dark cocoa powder
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup Halloween M&Ms
- additional M&Ms optional – to press into the top of the baked cookies
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a baking tray with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric hand mixer or bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add in eggs and vanilla extract and continue to mix until well combined.
- Add in flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix until the dry ingredients are fully incorporated. The dough will be very stiff.
- Using a spatula, fold in the semisweet and dark chocolate chips until well dispersed throughout the cookie dough.
- Divide into 24 cookies using a cookie scoop or a kitchen scale. If using a kitchen scale, you will want to measure approximately 2 ounces.
- Chill the cookie dough balls for at least 30 minutes.
- Place the cookie dough balls onto your prepared baking pans. Bake 6 to 8 cookies on the pan at a time and allow for space in between the cookies.
- Bake in the oven for 12-14 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool on the baking trays for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the baking tray and transfer to a wire rack to cool to room temperature.