Hot chocolate buttercream frosting is perfect for holiday baking. Creamy light chocolate frosting flavored with hot chocolate mix. Pair this frosting with chocolate cake layers and mini marshmallows to make hot chocolate cake or hot chocolate cupcakes for the ultimate hot chocolate dessert!
Ingredients for Hot Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Unsalted butter: Room temperature.
- Hot chocolate mix: Use your favorite hot cocoa mix. I love Swiss Miss or Ghirardelli hot chocolate. Hot chocolate mix adds subtle chocolate flavoring to the frosting without making it overly chocolatey like chocolate buttercream made with unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Powdered sugar: Icing sugar/confectioners’ sugar.
- Salt: A pinch of salt contrasts the sweetness of the buttercream.
- Vanilla extract: Pure vanilla extract adds great flavor.
- Heavy cream: To make the buttercream smooth, light, and fluffy. Use heavy cream or heavy whipping cream.
How to Make Hot Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Whip the room temperature butter for about 5 minutes on medium speed until light, fluffy, and pale in color.
- Add in the powdered sugar and hot chocolate mix and mix on low speed until combined.
- Add the vanilla extract and salt and mix on low. Drizzle in the heavy cream. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl.
- Turn the mixer to medium speed and whip the buttercream for 5 minutes until the frosting is smooth and creamy and the hot cocoa mix granules are fully dissolved in the frosting.
- Check out my baking tips blog post on 10 Tips for Making Perfect Buttercream to learn some easy tips and tricks to make amazing buttercream frosting!
- The hot chocolate mix in the recipe can make the texture of the buttercream a bit grainy. The key to making the buttercream smooth and silky is to whip the buttercream for an extended period of time. This helps dissolve the hot chocolate mix into the buttercream. Whip the frosting for at least 5 minutes and test it. If the texture is grainy, continue to whip until it is smooth.
- This recipe makes enough buttercream to frost about 2 dozen cupcakes or frost a 3-layer 7-inch cake.
- Store the buttercream frosting in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. To use, bring the buttercream to room temperature and rewhip with a stand mixer or electric hand mixer until light and fluffy.
Hot Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or electric hand mixer
- 2 cups unsalted butter room temperature
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup hot chocolate mix
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup heavy cream
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or in a large bowl with an electric hand mixer, whip the room temperature unsalted butter for 5 minutes until it is light, pale, and fluffy.
- Add in the powdered sugar and hot chocolate mix and mix on low speed until well combined.
- Add the vanilla extract and salt and mix on low until combined. Drizzle in the heavy cream. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Turn the speed on the mixer to medium speed and whip for an additional 5 minutes until the buttercream is smooth and creamy and the hot cocoa mix granules have fully dissolved.