What could be better than fudgy brownies? Oreo brownies! These Oreo brownies are fudgy, chewy, and packed with Oreo cookies! The easy brownie recipe will be a favorite dessert for cookies and cream lovers!
Is there really anything better than brownies? Yes, yes there is. Oreo brownies! If you are anything like me, if there is a brownie nearby, it quickly disappears, but adding Oreos just puts it over the top.
For this recipe, we will be using my cocoa brownies recipe as a base and adding a ton of chopped Oreo cookies inside the brownies as well as on top. The Oreo pieces add a great crunch and amazing Oreo flavor. If you want to take things to the next level, use one of the fun flavors of Oreos such as mint, peanut butter, or even birthday cake!
These brownies are so much better than box mix. They are chewy and fudgy and simply irresistible!
Ingredients for Oreo Brownies
- Unsalted butter: Melt with the brown sugar to make a shiny, crackly top.
- Brown sugar: Light brown sugar.
- Granulated sugar: Whip granulated sugar with eggs to create fudgy, chewy brownies.
- Eggs: Large eggs, room temperature.
- Vanilla extract: Vanilla extract enhances the chocolate flavor.
- Vegetable oil: You can also use canola oil or your preferred neutral baking oil.
- Salt: Enhances the flavors and contrasts the sweetness.
- Baking powder: A tiny bit of baking powder helps to create the perfect chewy texture.
- Dark unsweetened cocoa powder: Dark cocoa powder adds the best dark chocolate flavor and color. For this recipe, I used Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa Powder, which is a dutch-process cocoa powder.
- All-purpose flour: Creates the structure for the brownies.
- Oreo cookies: Roughly chopped. Add additional Oreo cookie pieces to the brownie batter prior to baking.
How to Make Oreo Brownies
To make the Oreo brownie batter, I recommend using an electric hand mixer for best results.
- Preheat oven and prepare an 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and parchment paper.
- Melt together butter and brown sugar in the microwave for 90 seconds. Stir to combine.
- Whip granulated sugar and eggs with an electric hand mixer for a few minutes until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add melted butter mixture to egg mixture while mixing. Add vanilla extract and vegetable oil.
- Add in the salt, baking powder, and dark cocoa powder. Mix until combined. Then, add in all-purpose flour and mix on low speed until combined and smooth.
- Fold in chopped Oreo cookies.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared baking pan. Add additional Oreo pieces on top of the brownie batter if desired.
- Bake the brownies for approximately 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Cool the brownies in the pan to room temperature before removing and cutting into squares.
Oreo Brownies Recipe Tips
Prepare the baking pan for easy removal
Prepare the baking pan with nonstick spray and parchment paper. Cut the parchment paper so that it fits the bottom of the pan and extends up the sides of the pan. Once the brownies have cooled, simply lift up on the opposite sides of the excess parchment paper to remove the brownies.
Whip the eggs and granulated sugar for a few minutes
One key step to getting the perfect chewy brownie texture is to whip the eggs and granulated sugar for a few minutes with an electric hand mixer. The egg mixture is ready when it has increased in volume and turned a pale yellow color. There are no leavening agents in this recipe, so this is a key step!
Tempering the egg mixture
Slowly drizzle the hot melted butter and brown sugar mixture into the whipped eggs while mixing with an electric mixer. This process is known as “tempering”, which gradually increases the temperature of the egg mixture. Tempering prevents the eggs from scrambling.
Baking to perfection
The brownies will bake in a 350 degree F oven for about 30-35 minutes. To check for doneness, insert a toothpick in the center of the brownies. The toothpick should come out with moist crumbs, not wet brownie batter. If there is wet brownie batter, bake for a few more minutes until you get moist crumbs!
Storing the brownies
Store the Oreo brownies in an airtight container at room temperature for about 3 days. Be sure to cut the brownies when they are completely cooled. Serve the brownies at room temperature or warm in the microwave for 10 seconds and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
- 8×8 baking pan
- Electric hand mixer
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ⅔ cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups Oreo cookies roughly chopped (approx 15 cookies)
- 8 Oreo cookies for the top of the brownies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and prepare an 8×8 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and parchment paper.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine unsalted butter and brown sugar. Heat in the microwave for 90 seconds until the butter is fully melted. Whisk the butter and brown sugar together until combined and smooth. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add eggs and granulated sugar. Use an electric hand mixer to whip the eggs and sugar on medium-high speed for a few minutes until light and pale in color.
- Slowly add the melted butter mixture into the egg mixture while mixing on medium speed with the hand mixer to temper the eggs. Once all the butter mixture is added, add in vanilla extract and vegetable oil and mix until combined.
- Add in salt, baking powder, and dark cocoa powder and mix on low speed until well combined. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Add in all-purpose flour and mix on low speed until the flour is fully incorporated into the chocolate mixture.
- Fold in 2 cups of roughly chopped Oreo cookies until well dispersed throughout the batter.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared baking pan. Use an offset spatula to spread the batter evenly in the pan. Press additional Oreo cookies into the top of the brownie batter, if desired.
- Bake the brownies for approximately 30-35 minutes until the center of the brownies is set. To check for doneness, insert a toothpick into the center of the brownies. The toothpick should come out with moist crumbs, not wet brownie batter. If there is wet brownie batter, bake for a few more minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and cool the brownies in the pan to room temperature. Remove the brownies from the pan and cut into squares.