Key lime pie dessert cups are a delicious summer treat. These mini key lime pies are made with a graham cracker crust, sweet and tangy key lime filling, and a touch of whipped cream. These dessert cups are perfect for picnics, parties, and bake sales!
Ingredients for Key Lime Pie Dessert Cups
- Graham crackers – Finely ground. About one and a half sleeves of graham crackers to make two cups.
- Unsalted butter – Melted.
- Cream cheese – Room temperature.
- Sweetened condensed milk – One 14-ounce can.
- Key lime zest – If you cannot find key limes, you can substitute with regular limes.
- Key lime juice – Same as above. Regular lime juice works just fine. Fresh squeezed is best.
- Heavy cream – Helps the key lime filling whip up to be light and fluffy. Also used to make whipped cream for garnish.
- Powdered sugar – To sweeten the whipped cream.
- Vanilla extract – A bit of vanilla extract adds a touch of vanilla flavor.
- Key lime slices – Thinly sliced key limes are an optional garnish, but highly recommended.
How to Make Key Lime Pie Dessert Cups
- Mix together graham cracker crumbs and melted butter.
- Portion the crumbs into 28 2-ounce plastic cups. Use one of the plastic cups to press the crumbs into the bottom of the cup.
- Cream together cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk until combined and smooth.
- Add in key lime zest and key lime juice. (Use regular lime zest and juice if key limes are not available).
- Add in heavy whipping cream and whip on medium-high speed until light and fluffy.
- Fill a piping bag with the cheesecake mixture. Pipe the mixture into the cups until about 3/4 full.
- To make the whipped cream, whip heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract until still peaks form.
- Top each dessert cup with whipped cream, a slice of key lime, and additional graham cracker crumbs.
- Seal the cups with a lid and chill. The cups can be served immediately or stored in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Key Lime Pie Dessert Cups Recipe Tips
This recipe makes approximately 28 2-ounce cups. This is an estimation. You may have a few more or a few less depending on how much filling you pipe into the cups!
Use regular limes if you can’t find key limes
Depending on where you are located or the season, you may not have access to key limes. No worries at all! Feel free to use regular limes for the juice and zest. Fresh is best to get the best flavor.
Graham cracker crumbs
Use a food processor to make the graham cracker crumbs. You can also place the graham crackers into a sealable plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin or other appropriate object! Be sure the crumbs are very fine for best results!
Storing and serving
These dessert cups can be stored in the refrigerator for about 2 to 3 days. I love serving these dessert cups right out of a cooler at parties or picnics! The dessert cups can stand out at room temperature for about an hour.
Key Lime Pie Dessert Cups
- 28 2-ounce plastic cups with lids
- Electric hand mixer
Graham Cracker Crust
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted
Key Lime Filling
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp key lime zest or lime zest
- ½ cup key lime juice or lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- lime slices for garnish
- In a small bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs and melted butter. Mix to combine.
- Portion the crumbs into 28 2-ounce plastic cups using a small cookie scoop or spoon. Use one of the plastic cups to press the crumbs into the bottom of the cup.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk until smooth. Add key lime juice and lime zest and continue to mix until well combined.
- Pour in heavy whipping cream and whip on medium-high speed until light and fluffy.
- Fill a piping bag with the key lime mixture. Pipe into the cups until about 3/4 full.
- To make the whipped cream, combine heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Whip on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Pipe or spoon on the whipped cream on top of the key lime filling. Add a small slice of lime and sprinkle with any leftover graham cracker crumbs.
- Seal the cups with a lid and chill. The cups can be served immediately or stored in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.