Holiday M&M cookies are the best Christmas cookie recipe for chocolate chip cookie lovers. The cookies are chewy, crisp on the edges, and have amazing flavor from brown butter. These Christmas M&M cookies are great for kids and adults alike.
Ingredients for Holiday M&M Cookies
- Unsalted butter – We are going to make brown butter for this recipe to give the cookies a toasty, nutty flavor.
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Light brown sugar – Packed.
- Granulated sugar
- Eggs – Large eggs, room temperature.
- Vanilla extract – Pure vanilla extract adds great vanilla flavor to the cookies.
- Semisweet chocolate chips – You could also use milk chocolate chips or white chocolate chips if you prefer.
- Holiday M&Ms – To give the cookies a holiday flair, use holiday M&M candies.
How to Make Holiday M&M Cookies
- Make the brown butter: Melt the unsalted butter in a pan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Continue to cook the butter until it bubbles and the milk solids turn golden-brown. Pour the brown butter in a heatproof bowl to cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Prep and preheat: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheet pans with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- Make the cookie dough: Stir the all-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. Mix together the melted brown butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Add in the eggs and vanilla extract and mix until smooth. Pour in the flour mixture and mix until the cookie dough forms. Fold in the semisweet chocolate chips and holiday M&Ms.
- Bake the cookies: Portion the cookie dough using a large cookie scoop (3 tablespoons). Place the cookie dough balls on the prepared baking sheet pans. Bake the cookies for 12 to 13 minutes until the edges are golden-brown. Cool the cookies on the pan for 2 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Use a large round cookie cutter or the back of a spoon to gently shape the cookies into a circle immediately after they are removed from the oven.
- Press in additional semisweet chocolate chips or holiday M&Ms into the baked cookies after you take them out of the oven.
- This M&M cookie recipe is a no chill dough, but you can make the cookie dough 1 week ahead of time. Simply portion out the cookie dough using a cookie scoop, chill in the refrigerator until firm and store the cookie dough balls in a resealable storage bag. To use, bring the dough to room temperature and bake as instructed.
- Store the M&M Christmas cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 to 3 days.
Holiday M&M Cookies
- Electric hand mixer
- 1 cup unsalted butter to make brown butter
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup holiday M&M candies
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- First, make the brown butter. Melt the unsalted butter in a pan over medium-low heat, stirring frequently. Continue to heat the butter, stirring frequently, until the butter starts to foam and turns a light golden-brown color. Pour the brown butter into a heatproof bowl and set aside to cool for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Line baking sheet pans with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the all-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric hand mixer, mix the melted and cooled brown butter, light brown sugar, and granulated sugar until well combined. Add in the eggs and vanilla extract and mix well until smooth.
- Pour in the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until the cookie dough forms. Fold in the holiday M&M candies and semisweet chocolate chips.
- Portion the cookie dough using a large cookie scoop (3 tablespoons). Place the cookie dough on the prepared baking sheets, allowing room for spreading. Bake the cookies for 12 to 13 minutes until the cookies are golden-brown on the edges.
- Remove the pans from the oven. If desired, press in additional semisweet chocolate chips and holiday M&Ms into the cookies. Cool the cookies on the pan for 2 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.