Monster cookies are easy to make and fun to eat! A peanut butter cookie packed with oats, chocolate chips and M&M candies, these cookies are soft, chewy, and delicious!
Ingredients for Monster Cookies
- Unsalted butter: Room temperature.
- Peanut butter: Use regular creamy peanut butter. Natural peanut butter is not recommended.
- Brown sugar: Brown sugar sweetens the cookies and adds chew factor.
- Egg: Room temperature egg serves as a binder for the cookie dough.
- Vanilla extract: Provides great vanilla flavor.
- All-purpose flour: All-purpose flour. Be sure to level your measuring cup.
- Baking soda: Leavening agent that causes the cookies to spread and brown.
- Cornstarch: Helps keep the cookies soft and chewy.
- Salt: Enhances the flavor of the cookies.
- Baking powder: Leavening agent that causes the cookies to puff up.
- Oats: Use old-fashioned rolled oats. Quick oats will also work. Do not use steel-cut oats.
- Chocolate chips: Use milk, semisweet, or dark chocolate. For this recipe, I used semisweet chocolate.
- M&Ms: Use regular, plain M&Ms or mini M&Ms. Use seasonal colors for holidays (Easter, Christmas, 4th of July).
Tools & Supplies for Making Monster Cookies
How to Make Monster Cookies
To make the cookie dough, I recommend using an electric hand mixer to make the dough. You can also use a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line baking trays with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- Using an electric hand mixer, cream together butter, peanut butter, and brown sugar.
- Add in egg and vanilla extract and continue to mix.
- Add in flour, baking soda, cornstarch, salt, and baking powder.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Add in oats, chocolate chips, and M&Ms. Fold into the dough until well dispersed.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, portion the dough. Place cookie dough on the baking tray allowing room for spreading.
- Bake the cookies for approximately 12 minutes until set and slightly golden brown.
- Cool the cookies on the baking tray for 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Monster Cookies Recipe Tips
Bake perfect cookies
Check out my baking tips blog post on 10 Tips for Making Perfect Cookies! HOWEVER, for these cookies, I don’t recommend chilling the dough as is recommended in the post. Be sure to always read the directions on your recipes!
Bake perfect cookies
After baking, press in additional chocolate chips or M&Ms to the top of the cookies immediately after coming out of the oven.
Storing the cookies and cookie dough
The cookies can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to three days. You can also store portioned cookie dough in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks and in the freezer for 1 month. To bake, remove the cookies from the refrigerator or freezer and allow the dough to come to room temperature.
- Stand mixer or electric hand mixer
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup plain M&Ms
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line baking sheet pans with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine unsalted butter, peanut butter, and brown sugar. Using an electric hand mixer, cream until the ingredients are smooth.
- Add egg and vanilla extract and continue to mix until well combined.
- Add in all-purpose flour, baking soda, cornstarch, salt, and baking powder. Mix until the dry ingredients are fully combined with the wet ingredients.
- Add in oats, chocolate chips, and M&Ms. Fold in with a spatula until the ingredients are dispersed throughout the cookie dough.
- Using a medium cookie scoop (1 ½ tbsp), portion the cookie dough and place onto the prepared baking trays allowing room in between the dough balls for spreading.
- Bake for approximately 12 minutes until the cookies are set and slightly golden brown on the outside.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool for 2-3 on the baking tray. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
Made This Recipe?
Be sure to follow on Pinterest @Cakemehometonight and on Instagram @cake_me_home_tonight
Leave A Reply!